Chapter 28, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

Merlin and Arthur didn't return home home that night.

I get changed into my nightgown before I climb into bed, praying Arthur and Merlin will return soon.

Morgana's managed to win over Gwen's loyalty. I refuse to believe my friend has betrayed us, and I refuse to follow Morgana. Especially after everything she's done to us. My loyalties lie, and always will lie, with Arthur and Merlin.

I'd rather die than betray them.

The next morning, I get up and get dressed in my blue dress with my heart locket before Jas gets me breakfast.

After breakfast, we were called to the council room when the patrol returned from scouting out Cenred's army, that's been sighted approaching us. Only Leon returned.

Uther states, "We must convene the Council of War."

"They cannot be stopped. The soldiers, Sire, they will not fall!" Leon tells him.

"What are you saying?" Uther demands in a whisper.

"They will not die."

"Father the knights. Prepare whatever defences you can," Uther orders.

"But, Sire—"

"Do it!!" Uther cuts him off, and Leon bows his head before everyone exits the room.

Later the next night, I gaze out a window overlooking the main courtyard, seeing a bunch of torches flickering below. My stomach churns in fear.

"Merlin!" I call.

"Astrid! What's wrong? What's happening?"

"You and Arthur have to hurry back to Camelot! Cenred has made an army of immortal men that cannot be killed, and they march upon us as we speak! What happened to the Cup? I thought you guys had it?"

"We did! But, then Cenred's men ambushed us and we'd gotten caught by thugs. We have Gwaine with us," Merlin responds. "Long story short, he was drinking at the wrong place, wrong time, then we found him in this slave trading place run by Jarl, I think is his name. But, thanks to me, we were able to get out of there alive," Merlin explains.

"Jarl, huh? I've heard of his reputation. You're lucky you got out of there. Anyway, how far are from Camelot?"

"Less than a day's walk?" He responds.

"Tell Pendragon and Gwaine they need to hurry back. Things are chaos right now," I say.

"We'll be there as soon as we can." Merlin asks, "Astrid, can you do me a favour, and go protect Gaius?"

"Don't worry. I'll protect him with my life. Hurry back safely," I say.

"We'll be there as soon as we can. I love you, Astrid,@ Says Merlin.

"I love you, too, my love," I respond before cutting the connection. I turn and race to my chambers so I could change into my white long sleeved shirt, brown leather sleeveless vest and matching breeches with tall black boots, then I snatch up my sword and dagger before I make my way down to the Physician's Quarters, bumping into some knights along the way.

"Your Highness! You need to get out of here!" One of them tells me.

"Don't worry, I'll be fine. Be safe, gentlemen," I reply, before I turn and race off to Gaius.

When I arrive I find Jas is here as well, a sword in her hand. "Astrid! Thank the heavens!" She gasps, relaxing.

"Jas! I need you to hide with Gaius!" I say. I steer them toward a cupboard to the side of the room.