Chapter 20, Part 2

I've also decided to go back and edit Chapter 4.

Astrid's P. O. V:

Later that night, after doing some reading, I get ready for bed with Jas's help and try not to worry too much about Merlin.

I was woken up some hours later, by someone shaking my shoulders. I gasp as my fist goes flying, only for the person to gasp, "Astrid! It's just me!"

I stare through the darkness at the warlock, having jerked his head back to avoid being punched by me, my eyes widening. "Merlin!" I exclaim in relief as I sit up and throw my arms around him, which he returns. I then pull back and gaze at him. "Are you alright? I felt you'd gotten injured through the mate bond."

"I got caught by Morgause and a Serket pierced my back with its tail. I was able to call Kilgarrah just before I passed out, and he healed me. I'm alright now, I promise," Merlin tells me, and I sigh in immense relief.

"Thank the gods," I mutter.

Merlin smiles softly at that. "You need to come with me and Gaius," Merlin says as he goes to our closet and yanks out my blue, fur lined coat.

"Why? What's happened?" I ask as I get out of bed.

"No time to explain," Merlin says hurriedly as he helps me into my coat. "I've already told Gaius, and now you, but I didn't get to tell you that Morgana is planning to kill Uther."

"What...?" I breathe, though I guess I should've expected it.

"She's responsible for his visions," Merlin adds. "We need to hurry." He helps me to do up my coat. "There's something I need to show you two. Have you still been keeping an eye on her?"

"I have," I say, tugging on my boots as I follow him to the door. "She's done nothing out of the ordinary. Yet."

Merlin just gives me a weary look before we leave my chambers where his uncle is already waiting outside. We then make our way to Uther's chambers.

When we get to the king's chambers, he wasn't on his bed, and his chambers were a mess. We step over to the side and see him cowering by the window, arms wrapped around his knees.

Gaius and I go to kneel by the king. I say gently, "Your Majesty?" I go to grab his shoulders but he tries to shove me away, sobbing. I fight past him and rest my hands on his shoulders firmly. "Your Majesty?"

Uther just stares past me, eyes wide with terror as he gasps and sobs. Gaius and I follow his gaze but see nothing there. Merlin races to the bed and rips something out from under it, before he runs back and throws the thing in the fire.

I immediately hear a high pitched shriek of pain and anger, causing me to yank my hands from the king as I turn my head to try and block out the sound,  pressing my hands to the sides of my head, as Merlin does the same. Gaius stares at us as we raise our heads, the sound now gone.

I look back at the king as he slumps, fear on his face. He's still clinging to me as he sobs. I tell him, "It was an enchantment, Sire. You need to rest."

Uther nods his head slightly. Gaius looks to Merlin and he comes over as I gently pry the king's hands from my coat. Merlin helps Gaius get Uther back into bed and I pull the blankets up to his shoulders.

Merlin passes Gaius the sleeping draft, and he pours it into the silver goblet. "Please, drink this, Sire," He says as I step back beside my husband. "It will help you to sleep." The Physician puts the goblet to Uther's lips and the liquid slides down his throat. Once Uther was asleep, Merlin slides his arm around my waist as he, Gaius and I return to our chambers.