Chapter 3

Astrid's P. O. V:

I'm wearing my long sleeved blue dress with my hair loose and my heart locket as I stand beside Arthur and Eric in the throne room, while Gaius examines the dead body of a man, a goblet of wine on the floor next to his hand. He looks incredibly pale—as pale as a ghost, and his eyes are still open. He looks to be a member of the court.

Uther demands to know, "What's happened to him?"

"I don't know, Sire. It's the second case I've seen today," Gaius answers truthfully.

"Why didn't you report it to me?"

"I intended to find the cause," Gaius responds smoothly as he straightens up.

"And what did you conclude?"

"I don't think it's time to hurry to conclusions. The scientific process is a long one," Gaius answers.

"What are you concealing from me?" Uther questions.

"Sire, I have seen nothing like it. The victims are dying in 24 hours, and it's spreading fast," Gaius says.

"What is the cause?" Uther asks.

"I should say the cause—the most likely cause—is sorcery." Murmurs ripple through the room as Arthur and I glance at Uther.

Uther takes Arthur to the side as he tells him, "You must find out who did this."

"I will, father."

"Conduct all the searches, increase your presence in the town, double the guards at all the gates," He says as I go to help Merlin and Gaius cover the man's body with a blanket. All while I try not to vomit. Sure, I've worked with Gaius before, and can stand the sight of blood, but I've never seen anything like this in my life. "And learn the physician your servant."

"Merlin?!" Arthur asks in surprise.

"We need Gaius to find a cure. He needs all the help we can give him," Says Uther urgently. "If Gaius is right, believe me, the city will be wiped out. This is the kind of magic that undermines our authority, challenges all we've done. If we cannot control this plague, people will turn to magic for a cure. We have to find this sorcerer, and quickly."

Uther turns and walks away.

"Yes, father," Says Arthur.

                       🗡🗡🗡

A day or two later, I'm wearing a long sleeved green dress with a belt and matching emerald jewellery, my locket around my neck as usual, my hair in a half braid, half ponytail, as I was helping Gaius try to find a cure for the plague that has struck Camelot.