Chapter 2, Part 1

Astrid's P. O. V:

I sit on a boulder with my elbows on my knees and chin in my hands as I watch Merlin train with Arthur. It was his first day as the Princes' man servant, and I wanted to be here for him. I was also hoping to get in some training, along with myself.

I'm wearing a blue tunic with a brown belt around it and a pair of black breeches, knee high black leather boots, and my black leather fingerless arm warmers, my gold locket around my neck, tucked into my shirt.

I'd visited Arthur in his chambers last night after he'd almost been killed by the witch, and he'd spent a good hour complaining about Merlin being his new man servant, until I reminded him that Merlin had literally just saved his life, and that h...

I'd visited Arthur in his chambers last night after he'd almost been killed by the witch, and he'd spent a good hour complaining about Merlin being his new man servant, until I reminded him that Merlin had literally just saved his life, and that he should be grateful to him and never forget it.

I'd also stayed up almost all night thinking about what Kilgarrah said, about my destiny in protecting Merlin, guiding him, and loving him like no one else would.

That last part makes my cheeks grow hot.

But I'd decided, especially after how he'd stood up to Arthur and saved his life last night, that, I would do just that. I also just think that Merlin needs to be protected. Even I didn't understand why I was suddenly so caring and protective about the warlock, when I barely even know him.

And, if anyone were to bring harm to Merlin, I would tear the world apart, with my own hands, just to find them and make them pay.

I watch as Merlin sheathes his sword on the left side of his waist, and Arthur asks, "Ready?"

"Would it make any difference if I said no?" Merlin asks.

"No," Arthur and I answer in unison, as the Prince turns around and swings his sword. Arthur faces Merlin and gets into a ready stance as Merlin takes out his sword.

I say, "Don't be too hard on him, Arthur!"

"Body." Arthur strikes for Merlin's stomach. The ravenette raises his sword to block but it was sloppy and slow. "Shield." Arthur strikes Merlin's shield. He repeats the process as Merlin retreats backwards. "Body. Shield. Shield."

"Shield," Merlin echoes.

"Head!" Arthur calls, striking Merlin's helmeted head.

"Head?!" Merlin exclaims in surprise. "Ow!"

I comment, "Wow! You're actually pretty good at this, Merlin. You're doing fine, too, Arthur!"

I was also very impressed with Merlin as I'm watching him in the training session with Arthur today. I'm just more impressed that he hasn't given up yet, like the other servants before him.

Merlin asks, sounding surprised and hopeful by my praise, "Really?"

"Come on, Merlin! You're not even trying!" Arthur says as they circle each other, Merlin righting his helmet.