Chapter 33, Part 1

Astrid's P. O. V:

War has been declared on Camelot in the form of Caerleon's Queen Annis, as is predicted it would. They will reach us by sunrise, but Arthur intends to meet them on the land ridge.

Merlin and I are both worried for Arthur, and I've seen him earlier, before dinner, to let the King know I'm there for him should he need another royal, yet friend, to talk to.

Right now, I'm in bed with my lover, naked beneath the sheets, his arms around me, fingers stroking my right side.

Merlin had proposed to me the night before and Arthur had left to deal with Caerleon. We were to be married in a few days from now.

"I'm worried about Arthur," He murmurs.

"I am, too," I say.

"I feel as though he's pushing us away. He should know he isn't alone," Says Merlin.

I say, "We know that—so does he."

Merlin asks me, "Are you coming tomorrow?"

"I am."

Merlin says as he gently presses his fingers along my hip, making my skin tingle, "I don't want you to. It'll be dangerous."

"I'm coming with you, and you can't make me stay—not this time," I say softly, stroking his cheek.

"You're so stubborn, but I guess that's why I fell in love with you," Merlin says, before he yanks me under the blankets with a surprised shriek, quickly followed by an explosion of giggles.

The next dawn, I wait by my Andalusian mare for Arthur to arrive, wearing my armor once more.

Once Arthur has mounted Torrento, the rest of us mount our own horses, among us, foot soldiers, and we ride for the land ridge, to meet with Queen Annis and her army

We soon reach the ridge and Annis's army stands on the other, lower side, light blue flags and banners raised.

I approach the Pendragon and stand beside him, my face grim, just like his.

Arthur instructs me as he watches the opposing army, "Make sure the men have everything they need."