Making Amends

I pull up to the small farm house and park my car in the driveway. My stomach felt like a whirlwind was happening inside because of my nerves. Taking a deep breath in building up the courage for the conversation I was about to have.

DING DING!

The doorbell rings when I push it. A middle aged man answers the door. He was wearing a red and black lumberjack button down, a pair of denim jeans, and some farmer boots. There was joy in his eyes when he saw me. A huge smile crossed his face making his salt and pepper beard curl up and his mustache almost touched his eyes.

"Ava! What a pleasant surprise. Please, do come in."

He widens the door so I may enter.

"Hi, Mr. Bishop, How are you?"

I say while entering.

Ben Bishop is one of the best men that I know, not that I know many. However, even if I did he will still out beat them. He raised Kai on his own after Kai's father left when he was just a kid. Ben stepped up and took care of his grandson. He has been a father to Kai ever since. Ben from what I know used to bare the element earth just like Kai. I was told he was a great royal and a specialist at making potions. I can see way Kai is so knowledgeable about the history of our world because Ben always used to take Kai on "vacations". Kai had informed me he was training him so he well be prepared for when he got his element so he can be a responsible royal. At times I wished I had a granfather like him in my life. But then again I do because Ben was always there to lend an ear or shoulder if needed.

"I am great. And yourself?"

"Oh, I am fine. I guess."

I laugh out of being nervous and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I think Ben noticed because his facial expression softness with concern.

"I am assuming you're not here to see me?"

"Unfortunately, not today. Is Kai here?"

"He is in the green house out back."

He sighs.

I can tell by Bens voice Kai must be in a funk. He knows something is bothering him and now he knows it has to do with me.

"Is he okay?"

I question curious on what kind of Kai I am about to be talking with. The understanding one or the stubborn one.

"He is being a brute."

"Noted. Wish me luck."

I smile with sarcasm.

He laughs.

"Good luck, hun."

    I stand by the entrance of the green house just watching for a moment. Kai has his headsets on and he is replanting an herb in a pot. I can tell he is at peace right now being in his element, literally. His face is focus yet calm, I can see the little boy in his eyes as he carefully works. His white tank top is dirty with dirt and his jeans have grass stains on them. I wonder how long has he been in here? I could tell it must have been awhile because he has sweat droplets on his chest and arms. A part of me doesn't want to distract him, I just want to enjoy seeing this side to him. The selfish and anxious side of me wants to get the conversation over with all ready. Kai turns around to get more soil.

"Geez!"

He says tumbling back.

"Ava, you scared the crap out of me."

He continued while removing his headsets.

"I'm sorry."

"How long have you been there?"