Jealousy

Layla's POV

"So how do you feel now that midterms are over,"

Carmen asks me, pointing the camera at me while the two of us sit on a bench in the university's courtyard.

I shrug, "Fine, I guess."

"Fine? That's all you have to say for my documentary?"

"Um really fine?"

Carmen sighs, unimpressed with my lackluster replies, "Girl, you're killing me. I know these tests aren't hard for you, but say something at least. Most people are ecstatic that midterms are over, like they can see the light at the end of the tunnel."

"There's not much to say. It went fine," I reply casually. "Well, here's something, now that I think about it. Actually I did a lot less studying and preparation for midterms, probably the least amount of my life. I pretty much only had time to study for my side classes."

Carmen sounds surprised, "That's not normal for you. Why?"

"Probably because I've focused most of my time tutoring Hoseok. Probably more than all of the other students I've tutored combined. As a result, I stayed up later catching up on my own study, but I didn't put in as many hours as I normally would."

Carmen snickers childishly, "I bet you 'tutored' him. How is he?"

I roll my eyes, "It's not like that. He wouldn't give me the time of day if I asked to kiss his feet." I narrow my eyes and look down and to the side, engaging in deeper thought, "Don't get me wrong, though; he's a nice guy whenever he stops thinking about popularity and social circles. He puts up a front so he can be one of the popular guys, thus more powerful, but deep down you can tell he is kind and giving and compassionate. He's really a sweetheart."

"I don't know Lay," Carmen shakes her head, focusing the camera. "I have this feeling that he's just playing with your heart."

I shrug. "Maybe, but maybe he does like me, it's just that-"

"Then why is he with that bitch Jennie over there?" she interrupts me, swinging her camera to Hoseok on the other side of the courtyard with his arm draped around Jennie. The camera sweeps back to me, capturing a great look of disappointment on my face, almost wincing as if in pain. I can't take my eyes off of Jennie and Hoseok; they look so happy together. Yes, they have their fights and arguments, but still fight for their love.

He seems so happy; he's talking and laughing with Jennie, Lisa, Jimin, and his other friends Jungkook, Taehyung, Yoongi, Namjoon and Jin. He's so bubbly when he's with them that it's obvious he's the happiest of all of them, although Jennie is a close second. The other boys are smiling, talking to each other, but Jimin is in a bad mood and doesn't try to hide it.

"Well, I guess now that midterms are over, things are back to normal. No more tutoring, no more Hoseok. At least until finals come around, huh?"

I shrug, "It seems that way. At least my body will be less sore from now on without his Nazi-style boot camp. Well, it's great to see him so cheerful; he obviously didn't fail any of the classes he was worried about. I'm happy for him." A slight upward curve arises on my lips, breaking the crestfallen look on my face, despite my head hanging low.

Carmen gets quiet for a second and lowers her camera. "Babe, I hate being the one to tell you, but you know he's just using you. Right?"

I don't respond.

," Carmen continues, "he's not in our league. "I mean," And there's nothing wrong with that. You're a good girl, babe. Just don't get your hopes up about him. It'll never happen, and I'm telling you as a friend. A guy like that... he's not from our world."