34: mirabelle

This week has held many surprises.

I found out Bailey and I are not the only ones keeping secrets in our family. JJ and Hunter are just as good.

"Did you know?" I ask Henry, pulling on his sleeve to get his attention as we walk towards the field. JJ is talking to Coach Dane right now and I wish I could intervene somehow and tell him what an idiot he is for not being able to accept my brother into the program.

"Do I look like I knew?" He asks, bewilderment clear on his face.

I can't help but giggle. I mean I kinda thought they were going to end up together at some point, but they picked one hell of a way to announce it to our families. "You have to admit, they are kinda cute together if you think about it."

"I don't think there's anything cute about my fifteen-year-old little sister having a boyfriend, even if it is with your brother." Henry says and I roll my eyes, picking up my pace to keep up with him, stealing another glance at JJ who is now shaking hands with Coach Dane.

"Don't be such an overprotective brother."

He raises an eyebrow at me, "Oh really? Pot calling kettle now are we?"

"I'm worried because my brother just got his soul crushed and you're worried because your sister kissed my brother. Two different things."

"I have every right to worry, I know what being a teenage boy is like." He says, shaking his head.

"Right. Before you became a grumpy old man."

"Not my fault you like 'em old." He says, slapping me lightly on the ass. "Go talk to JJ and I'll talk to Kait and Hunter."

I squeak, not having expected that, "Awfully demanding."

"You have no idea how demanding I can be." Henry says and my interest piques as he winks at me. He finds a way to make absolutely everything dirty. I love it.

I brace myself for the mood that I'm almost positive JJ is going to be in, but I don't expect him to be...smiling?

He hugs me tightly, lifting me up, "You fucking suck. I can't believe you didn't tell me you were coming."

"I didn't know if I was going to be able to come and wanted to surprise you!"

"Well consider me surprised." JJ says, setting me on my own two feet. I search his face, looking for signs of being upset. But that doesn't make sense? I know him almost as well as I know myself.

"What did Coach Dane want?"

JJ shrugs, throwing an arm over my shoulders as we walk back towards where our parents are waiting. "He told me I played one hell of a game and that he won't be surprised to see me in the NFL in a couple years."

"Is that all?"

"He also congratulated me on Stanford."

My head snaps up to see him smiling widely at me. "Stanford?" I question and JJ's green eyes twinkle.

"I verbally committed to Stanford before the game started. I was waiting until after the game to tell everyone."

I shrug his arm off of me and push him, "Jerk! I can't believe you didn't tell me!" Then I throw my arms around my little brother and hug him tightly. "I'm so proud of you."

He laughs, hugging me back. "Thanks Mira."

"You've earned it. Every bit of it. And tonight! You played amazing. You and Hunter were so in synch." I say, dropping back to the ground, my smile wide. Turns out, I was worried for nothing. This fucker didn't tell me he was even considering Stanford, let alone committing to the program despite Duke's coach having come to a game.