28: henry

Oh, she's going to kill me.

I don't think I care if it means Mirabelle's safe.

I grunt in exertion as my muscles scream at me to listen as I benchpress more weight than I probably should be doing midseason. Jamal, one of the guys on O-line is spotting me, eyeing the weight.

"Price, you sure you should be doing this? I thought Coach said to go light today." He says, helping me rack it as I sit up.

"I'm done; he did say to go light. Thanks for spotting me."

"No problem man, got your back any day." He says passing me a towel that I throw over my shoulder. "Isn't that your girl?" Jamal asks, pointing at the storming figure I have been expecting any minute for the last half hour. She had meetings all morning and wouldn't have a chance until now to come speak her mind.

"Yeah."

"She looks mad." He whistles low and a short burst of fear sparks through me, that quickly turns into lust when I see her outfit for the day. Her sky high heels that she insists on wearing every day, paired with a skirt that shows off her legs perfectly.

And then I see the shadow that I hired indefinitely behind her.

"Mira's fine."

"Henry Jonathan Price, please tell me you did not hire a security guard to follow me around without talking to me!" She shouts as she comes close enough to see the rage in her eyes. Some of the other guys shake their heads at me sympathetically while a couple others that know her father turn away to laugh.

"No." I answer, "I hired ex-military."

I've been interviewing guys for the last two weeks trying to find someone who was firstly qualified and secondly could keep up with her when she tries to shake him.

"You have no right." Mirabelle says, stopping and looking down at me.

I rest my elbows on my knees, "He's just looking out for you. There's no harm in it."

"I-He-You!" She scrambles to find the right words, but I think I've broken her. "I'm so fucking mad at you."

I can't help it. I smile.

Mirabelle's normally honey colored eyes are a dark chocolate today and she narrows them at me. "Why are you smiling? This isn't funny."

"It kinda is. You look cute." I say and Mira crosses her arms before looking up behind me at Jamal.

"Do you think this is funny?" She asks him and I can only imagine the look on his face.

"Well ma'am, I don't really know the situation so I'm afraid I can't answer whether it's funny or not." He answers smartly and I look up over my shoulder.

"Weak. You can go up against three hundred pound men but she scares you?"

Actually—maybe I shouldn't have just said that.

When I look at Mirabelle again, her expression has changed into one I can't read. "No, Henry, you're right. I'm not scary at all." She leans down to press her lips against my cheek, "He's fine for today, but get rid of him Henry. Je te verrai plus tard." I'll see you later.

I take it back.

I'm scared of her.

She walks off, ignoring the body guard who follows her at an appropriate distance.

Jamal shakes his head at me, "You're a dead man fucking walking if you think she isn't scary."

*********