12: mirabelle

So I kissed Henry. That really happened.

If only fifteen-year-old me could see me now. She might go into cardiac shock.

I'm having a really good time with Henry and I think he is too. He seems to have relaxed  from all the stress he carries on a day to day basis, and I think the stick he has permanently lodged up his ass has shifted. We're in an isolated area that has an amazing view of the night sky out the glass windows surrounding us. There's only a couple other small clustered groups of people up here, but they're on the other side of the restaurant.

Henry doesn't seem freaked by the idea that we kissed or at least he isn't acting like it. Meanwhile I'm trying to keep from having a major freakout. It's taking everything in me to not run to the bathroom and call JJ or Emily.

Is it weird I want to talk to my seventeen-year-old brother about kissing Henry?

His lips were just so soft and he reacted so quickly to kiss me back. It's almost like he needed me to take the first step even though it really seemed like Henry wanted to kiss me-

"Mirabelle?" Henry asks, redirecting my attention back to the conversation. I blink rapidly and notice that the waiter is waiting patiently to hear my answer to whatever he just asked me.

I feel my face grow really hot, "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Would you mind repeating that?"

He smiles kindly, "Would you like dessert?"

Henry chuckles, knowing that this is a question he easily could have answered for me. He just optioned not to. "Absolutely. Surprise me." I smile widely at the waiter and Henry asks for the same.

"You were in la la land."

I bite my lip to try and hide my smile. "You knew what my answer was going to be."

"I did, but I've also heard it's rude to order for your date," He says, shaking his head.

I study him for a moment and note how he shifts his eyes away and I gasp, clapping my hands over my mouth to try and hide my laughter.

"What are you laughing at?" He asks, an amused expression on his face.

"You've totally ordered for someone before and she bit your head off, didn't she?"

Now it's Henry's turn to be embarrassed. His ears are tinted pink and he pushes his sleeves up to his elbows, revealing his ink that grabs my attention immediately. "I wouldn't say she bit my head off, but I listened to her go on about how controlling men are and misogyny after I ordered an ice cream sundae for us to split. I mean who doesn't like ice cream and chocolate sauce? Not that I thought you'd react like that, you're just very independent so I thought it'd be better if you ordered for yourself." He rambles and I laugh again.

"Did you guys go on another date after that?" I ask curiously and he cringes.

"Nope. That was the end of that." Henry says with a short smile. "Probably for the best. I don't think we would have worked out regardless of if I had ordered for her or not."

I can't help but smile. "I don't think she's the right person for you." I say, taking a sip of what is technically Henry's wine since I can't order my own legally. If only we were in France.

"Then who do you think is the right person for me?" He asks, probing for an answer to my statement.

A lump forms in my throat that I try to swallow quickly. "You know, I think I'm going to go to the restroom." I squeak out, pushing my chair back, grabbing my phone because I'm totally going to call JJ from the bathroom.