11: mirabelle

God! I can't believe him! He thinks I obviously like Quinn? What about all the years I've obviously been in love with him? I might have a slight attraction to Quinn who is nice, funny, and obviously seems to be interested in me.

I hate that word.

Obviously.

Fuck.

The only saving grace is that Emily is getting into town tomorrow afternoon. Then I'm out of my boy bubble and back with a girlfriend my own age since none of my coworkers want anything to do with me. Jokes on them, I don't want anything to do with any of them either.

I stomp in the house, still irritated from my conversation with Henry in the weight room. He's an idiot. I haven't exactly come out and said 'Hey Henry, I have had the biggest crush on you since I was like five years old, will you just marry me already?' So granted, how is he supposed to know that I like him?

Maybe because I'm so obvious about who I supposedly like.

Idiots.

Men are idiots!

"Hey Mirabelle?" He calls after me before I can disappear up the stairs and into my room.

"What?" I ask, trying to keep the frustration out of my tone. At least I'm trying? Not very well but I think I deserve an A for effort.

"We're going out tonight. Dinner plans are at eight thirty just incase you want to get ready."

Huh?

"Were you even going to ask me or are you just assuming that I don't have plans with say...maybe Quinn?"

Yeah, I'm being a bitch. I know that. Henry will survive.

Obviously.

His jaw tightens and he tilts his head. "Do you?" Oh it so bothers him that Quinn might be interested in me. Just not enough for him to tell me no.

I smile playfully back at Henry, enjoying getting a rise out of him. I miss fighting with Bailey believe it or not. "No, but I could have. Next time you want to plan a date, you might want to ask me first to make sure I can go."

"You're right, I should have." He admits, scratching the back of his neck. "I'm sorry. Will you please go out with me tonight?"

I purse my lips, half tempted to say no just because I guess I can. But that wouldn't be me following the agreement to fake date him. "Yes, I'll go out with you."

I wish he was actually asking me out.

"We'll have fun. Make a fun night of pretending to be a couple," Henry promises with a smile, but all I really hear is him earlier saying that he's okay with me dating Quinn. It might bother him, but not enough to where he would tell me not to do it. Whereas with me, it might literally break my heart if I see him with someone else.

But...if I can show him how great it would be to date me, then maybe Henry will realize he cares enough to tell me not to date Quinn.

"We definitely will." I muse, eager to dart up to my room with renewed energy that I could wow the socks—or the pants, I wouldn't complain—off of Henry.

Henry smiles at me and my heart melts. "Thanks Mirabelle, I appreciate it."

Oh, you shouldn't be thanking me yet.

*********

"So I asked Dad if we were coming into town for the first game and he wouldn't give me a definitive answer. I think you should talk to him." JJ says through the iPad screen as I straighten my hair.