Chapter 23

The Moonstone Palace was just as grand as the first time Luna entered it, but it was different this time. This time she stood still. This time she was waiting for the opportunity to walk down there, to the Court of Nightmares. Her mother stood there, dressed and ready, just like Luna. But while Feyre had a dress made from a spidernet thin fabric, Luna had the dress Kira had made. The one with cuts in order to show off her skin and markings. Her lips were painted black and the pigments around her eyes matched the different skin tones. Her hair was loose, no braid, no styling. Just the natural curls and the wite strands hanging down to frame her face.

Tirian was neatly dressed in black. Not as spectacular or well fitted as her fathers suites, but there was something about him and the way he was moving, like he was in full control... Luna looked around, expecting to see Azriel standing in the shadows to give them the all clear, or Cassian lounging at the table. But none of the Illyrians was there. Instead Nyx showed up, dressed and ready. He gave Luna a quick nood before focusing on their father.

Why are you here? She asked, trying to not sound too suspicious. Who is watching Evalyn?

She is working with the healer, she told me it was fine. Dad asked me to come with you for this first meeting. Nyx eased the glamour on his powers making the room shrink as her father and mother did the same. Luna hesitated, and then she let her own glamour drop.

She was the weakest among them, but could still fill the room. Her powers moved freely, allowing her to slip by shield after shield if she so wished. Not that she did. Luna avoided her brothers and Tirians minds entirely, out of respect.

You need to strengthen your shields Nyx. She told him as they started to move from the Moonstone Palace.

Keep your mind to yourself instead. Nyx said back with a huff and started to push her out of his mind. Luna retracted and held back a laugh as his shields grew higher.

"Behave." Rhys told them.

"I will have some fun. It is our first family event!" Luna said back, making her mother laugh.

"She has a point, Rhys." Feyre said, taking Rhysands hand.

"This is work, not a vacation..." He mumbled back.

"We are taking one after..." Luna looked away as Rhysand kissed Feyre before she could continue.

"Later darling, later."

Prepared for a sibling? Nyx asked and Luna held back a laugh.

No, I like being the youngest. They stopped. All the fun was over. Before them the doors to the hall and behind them...

The music came to them through the door, rhythmic drums, seducing strings. Luna drew a breath and turned to Tirian. He held his face neutral, but she could sense that he was tense. She took his hand, giving him a gentle squeeze. Hoping it would calm him down.

The door swung open and the music stopped. All eyes turned towards them. Luna held her head high, her eyes forward as they all entered the hall. She heard them all ask the questions.

Who is she?

The Sons Mate?

Another whore in the group?

Then other questions surfaced.

Where are the Illyrians?

The Spymaster? Where is he?

The Witch?

She grinned and continued on walking. Her parents sat down on the thrones and Nyx took his side to the right of their father, Luna to the left. Tirian stood behind them, hidden in the dark.