Chapter 18

That couldn't be true. It just couldn't. I spent the entire evening after that date with Nina and Del thinking over and over again what Del said about Finn and that he might have feelings for me. I immediately denied it and she quickly decided to not keep going with it, but she knew I wouldn't forget about what she said. There's no way Finn could have a crush on me, we haven't even seen each other in years. And if he knew I hadn't thought of him in that span of time, he'd probably hate me. But then I think about what Remington told me and wonder if it might turn out okay and we can still try to reconnect as adults now. But for now, I have to go about this slowly since I've got a busy schedule and I'm still baffled to see him again after all this time. Let's hope I goes well and it doesn't cause any problems for me or anyone else.

This week was the week before Thanksgiving week when the school would be closed so that meant loads of assignments to finish either before the holiday break or to work on over the break. Either way, I felt more stressed out trying to complete everything for all my classes while also trying to keep up at my job as customers were flooding in for their Thanksgiving feasts. Ryan hired some extra help for the seasonal times, but I felt bad that they were expected to do more than they might handle so I did my best to help out as much anyway. I've already requested to take some time off during the holiday so I spend time with my friends and loved ones. I haven't talked to or seen my family since that day a couple of months ago and I'm glad I separated myself from them. It hurt a bit when I did so, but at least I have people in my life I can feel safe with who would never judge me or cast me aside.

When I was finished with work, I was met by Finn who looked happy to see me. I found it kind of him and then he asked me, "Hey, Carina. Are you free right now to stop for a coffee?" I considered it and decided to go ahead and say yes so we'd have some time to catch up. We headed to a public café and sat at an outdoor table since I needed some air from being inside the store all day. After a few minutes of silence, I was the first to start talking, "So, Finn. It's been a long time since we've seen each other. How's your life been?" He shrugged and answered with, "Pretty fine, I guess. It was hard when I lost my parents but I was still able to get through it all and graduate high school with honors. Didn't think I would, but I wanted to make my parents proud if they were still here." I smiled as I told him, "I'm sure they are, regardless of what you do. They were good people." He said to me, "Thanks, Carina. They loved you too. What about you, how's life been since we were kids?"

I took a deep breath before telling him the hellish nightmare I've been through since coming to Querencia. "The best decision I've made was leaving our old hometown", I explained to him, "I was suffocating there and my family didn't help make it any better. Now this place is my home and I can't remember the last time I felt this happy and comforting doing what I want. I've got friends, a good job, a good record at school, and..." I hesitated which made Finn question me, "And...?" With a blush on my face, I told him, "I met someone who's been so good to me and he's just the most amazing person I've met in my life." Finn raised his brows as he realized, "You have a boyfriend? Here?" I nodded and clarified, "Well, now he's in L.A. working on making music with his brothers in their own rock band." He looked surprised, "A rock band? Wow, impressive. I didn't think you'd be into rock n' roll, Carina." I giggled as I told him, "Yeah, well, you're not the first one to be surprised. I can be much more surprising if you knew how much I've liberated myself since moving out of my parents' house."

He nodded and then scratched the back of his head before he asked me, "So this boyfriend...do you...love him?" His question threw me off as my blush returned but much more obvious as I told him while looking away in embarrassment, "Well, yeah. He was the first guy in God knows how long to actually accept all of me and he's even risked his life for me once. I was scared at first to open up to him after what happened to me in high school, but after some time, he turned to be the sweetest boy I've ever met and nothing could ever change how much he means to me." I looked up to find Finn looking like he was in pain, and it startled me as I asked, "Finn, what's wrong?" He shook his head and scratched his head as he turned away and avoided my question, "Ahem, n-nothing. Just a little stomach ache or something."

He looked back at me and said to me, "I'm happy you're doing well and have someone in your life now. I hope to see more of you again and hopefully get back to being friends like we used to." He stood up then and remarked, "I have to get back to my dorm now, but I hope to see you again soon. Best of luck to you and your...boyfriend. I hope he knows how lucky he is to have someone as special as you." He left without saying another word and his last words felt like he was accusing Rem of being with me. I have no doubt Remington loves me very much just as much as I love him, but when I told Finn about him, I would have hoped he expressed happiness for me. Instead, it sounded like he felt resentment or something like that. If he had told me he found someone who was special to him, I would have expressed joy because I want everyone I care about to be happy. I doubted whether I could continue to try to be friends with him again if he would act this way with everything I have in my life now since we've separated.