Chapter 13

The rest of my first week of school was pretty much the same as the first day, but even though dealing with my professor in Public Speaking class was a bit of a challenge as he attempted to try to fail me even though he couldn't, the end of the day was worth all the stress I've dealt with that day because I get to call Remington and talk with him for what feels like hours sometimes. I'd tell him how my day's been with school, work, my friends here in Querencia, and he'd tell me what it's like staying in California with the band and beginning production of their first record. God, I could listen to him spew about anything and just hearing his voice alone was music to my ears. The fact that it brought so much serenity to my soul was more than I could ever tell. I hope someday soon if I can, I get to listen to him in person while also being able to hold him in my arms again. It's only been a week and I'm already wishing and praying that I'll be able to see him again as if I'll go insane if I don't.

The second week of school was when things were starting to get interesting. I heard rumors that we were getting a new student all the way from New York. Geez, the last time someone traveled here from New York, it was that Cordelia girl who was Rem's first crush. She ended up leaving already with another man she met and fell in love with after he proposed to her. I was happy she moved on, but was worried if she'd forgive herself for her past. Anyway, it was said this boy was very shy and modest, it honestly made me think he might be a good kid. I just wasn't sure if I'd stumble upon him anytime soon. My next class that day was Government, which was a bit boring but extremely comprehensive as I had to read almost 10 chapters every night. As I took my usual seat in the middle of the class with my textbook in hand, the professor made an announcement while I wrote down some reminders for later in my notebook.

"Morning, class! Today's a very special day for us as we have a new student joining us for this semester! Everyone, I would like you all to meet-" Before I heard anything else, I was alarmed by me accidently dropping my textbook on the floor, causing me to get out of my seat and pick it up and put it back. I noticed some of my pens and pencils fell too, so I was collecting them all before the last one was picked up by another hand that wasn't mine. I looked up to meet the face of a boy who looked around my age and had light, brown hair that hid his bright, blue eyes. He smiled at me as he handed me back my pencil, and I took a moment before thanking him and sitting back in my seat, and he apparently sat next to me in the empty seat which was his now. During the middle of the professor's lecture about the Mayflower voyage, I heard the boy whisper toward my direction, "Can I tell you something without sounding weird?" I found it a little odd, but I gave him a chance anyway as I nodded and he told me, "I really like your red hair."

That comment caught me off-guard a little as I smiled politely and said, "Thank you, that's kind of you to say." He seemed to have more to tell me, "Yeah, it reminds me of this girl I once knew." I chuckled a little at his statement, "Is that so? What was this girl like besides being a redhead?" He shrugged, "Well, I knew her as a little boy, we used to be best friends before me and my family moved away from our hometown. We used to play on a playground after school and our favorite game was-''''Hide-and-seek?", I found myself blurting out which made him turn to my direction as I looked back at him. Looking at his face again, I realized some familiar traits in his face and his voice that remind me of a boy I was once best friends with. It couldn't be, could it? "Finn?", I asked in a soft tone to muffle my shock to the best of my abilities. My theory was confirmed when I noticed his eyes widened as he replied with, "Carina? I-You...This has to be a dream! It's been like what? 10 years?"

I almost blocked out what he was saying as memories of my childhood with him flooded my brain and I feel like the worst person on Earth right now. Why? Because the only friend I had when I was only a child in my hometown had not crossed my mind all this time and that makes me a bad person for forgetting him so easily. "...Finn?", I interrupted him, he stopped to ask, "Y-Yeah, Carina?" "Where have you been all this time? I can't remember the last time I heard from you or your parents." That seemed to make him turn away from some reason and I didn't understand why until he explained with a sad tone, "Shortly after me and my parents moved to New York...they died in a car crash." Christ, I really am the worst person ever for prying unnecessarily. "Oh shit, Finn'', I expressed with regret, "I'm so sorry. They were such good people." He nodded and turned to me with sadness in his eyes, "Yeah, they were. I was left to stay with my grandparents there and it was just hard for me to cope with losing my mom and dad." His eyes changed a little before he spoke again, "But I promised them before I lost them, that I would work hard to find my happiness wherever it may be. I applied to this school for it's program and now...I'm apparently here with you, too." I smiled at him as I felt an old connection toward him rekindle, but I felt unsure if things would be like how it was back then.