part 3

"A few days back my fever reached a 103 and my mom got worried and took me back to the hospital, they said I needed to stay away from germs and infections just so I don't relapse.

"relapse?"
"cancer. Keelin,"

I stopped and looked at her for a second.

"Cancer?"
"Acute promyelocytic leukemia,"
"Oh-"

"You don't have to say anything,"
"I do not know what to say at this point,"
"My mom gave up everything for me,"

"Kady, she's your mom, she loves you." I see tears well up in her eyes.

"Keelin, she quit her job and has been working for me and my stupid disease for 6 years."

"She chose this."

"There's nothing positive you could say to make me feel better. their marriage ended because they had different perspectives on treatment when it came to me."

I try to refocus her attention on the positive aspects of the situation. Hearing her say that, my heart sank; I wasn't going to let her die

"After 30 years of being married, it ended with a child who wouldn't even be alive for the next 5 years"

"You're not going to die, Kady, I promise"

she holds my hand and looks into my eyes

"Death is death, I just wish my death was far more mysterious than this"

My heart hurt after hearing this. At that moment I promised myself I'd help her live a life which she loves, the one full of adventures, and little mysteries.

"Sometimes the truth Is a secret because living the lie was so much easier," she says, as she brushes the hair off her face. I don't say anything she just lets out a small smile and sighs. There we sat on her blue torn sofa looking at the orange take over the sky.

I sat there in complete certainty of the fact that I would do my best to make her live. Just a little bit, and to make her feel unconditional love.

Kady and I were complete opposites she loved doing everything she knew I wouldn't approve of. she was adventurous, good at math, and was the complete opposite of a girl. She was 5'3 and had legs as long as a Giraffes neck. She had pretty golden brown hair, and she was one of the most humorous upbeat people I had ever met. Kady could turn absolutely anything into a dirty joke.

And well I was the complete opposite. I hated math and the only thing I was good at was probably ballet and film. I was far from an adventurous person, if anyone told me to spontaneously plan a trip, I'd still make sure I have 50 lists in hand.