32: henry

"When are you coming home? I miss you." Kaitlyn says, her voice amplified through the Bluetooth speakers in my car and suspicion immediately runs through me.

"Who do I need to beat up?"

I swear to god if Bailey is giving her the same shit he's giving Mira, I'm actually going to kick his ass.

"You're being dramatic. Nothing's wrong. I just miss you."

I can tell by her tone that she's not lying, however it doesn't make me feel any better. Things have been better between my dad and I, but the relationship isn't what it used to be. He and I both said things that can't be taken back no matter how many apologies are said. So I've been avoiding home perhaps a little too much.

Especially if my fifteen-year-old sister is telling me that she misses me. Teenagers never admit that kind of stuff, it doesn't matter how close we are despite our age gap.

"I'll try to come home soon."

It's not me evading her answer, but during season it's hard to make it home. I don't like making promises I can't keep.

Mira's talked about going back for the State football game which Kaitlyn will be cheering at; I'd love to support JJ and Hunter too. The state game is the Friday night before we play so the only problem is do we come back that same night or chance a drive the next morning before my game?

I want to go to support Kait and the Walkers; it just is a bit of a time crunch.

"Do you think you could make it to the state game?" She asks hesitantly and I'd rather keep it a surprise if I can make it which unfortunately means disappointing her now.

"Kait...I have a game the next day. I don't know if I can swing it." Silence greets me on her end and I feel like the worst brother in the world right now. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, yeah of course. I get it. No biggie."

I resist the urge to hit my steering wheel in frustration. "You're going to be amazing. I know it." I say and then my guilt hits a new level when I hear my little sister sniffle.

"Thanks Henry." She says, no doubt thinking that I can't hear how upset she is in her voice.

"I'll come home soon, I promise."

"Sure."

"How's school going?" I ask, trying to renew the conversation, but I'm afraid I've already ruined it.

She sniffles again, "It's fine. Just school. You know how that goes."

Ah fuck. Maybe I should just tell her that I can come and find a way to make it work.

"Hey-"

Except Kaitlyn cuts me off, "Um actually I'm late to hang out with Hunter. I guess I'll see you later."

"Wait Katie-" The beep tells me that she hung up on me. "Motherfucker."

I had a truly terrible day and this is just the icing on the cake.

Stacey went through my PR team and scheduled my entire day that was supposed to be a day to relax with magazine photoshoots and interviews. Mirabelle wasn't there either. She had to proof a series of articles. I guess Stacey decided her presence wasn't necessary today.

Her presence is always necessary.

I've gone all day with only one text from her.

All it said was miss you xo.

I'm not clingy, but the thought of holding her tonight was the only thing that got me through the day of being blinded by lights, oiled up like a fucking chicken, and asked questions about shit that has nothing to do with my career.