18

Y/n woke up with an awful headache and sore joints. "Agh," she said, instinctively trying to reach up and touch her head where it throbbed.

She was surprised to find her arms bound to her body, which was in turn bound to a chair. That snapped her awake, adrenaline pulsing through her body. She looked around the room she was in, recognizing it as Bruno's old room in the hidden passages.

She spied the hole that led to the dining room, but the limited light coming from it didn't tell her what time of day it was.

Then she saw a figure watched her, sitting in Bruno's old red armchair.

"You're finally awake," Diego said. "Good."

"What? Diego- what's happening?" 

Diego simply smirked. "You don't remember, at least for the moment. Good. You don't remember anything that happened after dinner last night."

The power of Diego's words washed over Y/n, and suddenly the foggy images she had been trying to clear the dust from were gone from her mind.

"You don't think I brought you here. In fact, I'm here to free you."

Y/n had never been so relieved so see someone as Diego got up and used a knife he must have grabbed from the kitchen to cut the ropes tying her down.

"You're not suspicious of me," he continued. "Bruno was the one who did this. He brought you here and tied you up before running away again, this time for good."

Y/n heart felt as though it had shattered into a million pieces. "B-Bruno did this? No.. mi osito... he- he left again?" Tears began to well up in her eyes.

"You don't need to mourn him," said Diego, making her meet his eyes. "You never loved him, after all."

And suddenly all her sadness was gone. "You're right," she replied. "I never even liked him."

"Your heart is all mine," he said, smiling.

"Of-of course. I love you," said Y/n.

"When we go back out to the family, you will support my story that Bruno turned against the family again."

"It's nothing but the truth."

"Good. Now, I want you to tell me everything you know about the Madrigals' secrets. There's nothing to hide, after all."

"Nothing to hide at all. I don't know many secrets, but I know Mirabel sometimes sneaks out of town at night to meet this person she likes, and Camilo often sleeps in Antonio's room since Antonio's used to a roommate and his animals can't chase away his nightmares like family can."

Diego looked frustrated, though Y/n couldn't imagine why. "Not that kind of secret. What secrets do you know about the magic?"

"I don't know anything that hasn't already been explained to you. After all, I'm not one of the gifted."

Diego sighed, sitting back down in the red armchair that Y/n now recognized belonged to a traitor. "Of course not."

Y/n's heart dropped. She knew she had disappointed him, and she would do anything to fix that. "I-I'm sure Abuela knows things I don't, though, and she would answer if you asked her."

Diego considered the idea. "It hadn't occurred to me to ask her directly- but I suppose it's not a bad idea."

Y/n's heart swelled with hope. Maybe she had lifted his mood again. "To get more specific answers about the individual gifts as well, you could ask each member of the family about theirs. Besides Felix and Agustin, that is."

Diego was nodding. "Good idea. Maybe I can take a more direct route in my interrogations than I had originally planned."

He stood up from the armchair, putting one arm around your shoulder and pulling you close. "A kiss for good luck?" he asked.

And as you stood on your tiptoes to give him what he asked for, you felt as though you wanted nothing more.

Sitting behind the armchair, bound and gagged, however, silent tears were spilling from Bruno's eyes and he listened to what was happening just beyond his control.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hiya! I just wanted to say I'm sorry that this chapter is so short, and I'm planning on publishing the next one, if not more, tonight. I just wanted to end with that particular line, and couldn't think of any ways to lengthen the chapter. See you next chapter, and happy reading!