1

Y/n drifted out of sleep as the sun shone through her open window, sighing as she opened her e/c eyes and stretched her body in an attempt to wake herself up mentally. She had never been much of an early riser, but the village was always up and moving bright and early. The market was always full and bustling by the time breakfast was finished in the Madrigal house.

Y/n sat up in bed, her loose-fitting pajamas falling into place around her frame. She stood up and went into her bathroom to take a shower, going through her routine to maintain her h/c hair. She brushed her teeth at her sink, then changed into a simple outfit: a white top with a f/c skirt.

Casita, the magical spirit that seemed to inhabit the Madrigal home, offered help where it was convenient. Y/n always found her shoes being tossed onto her feet as she walked out of her room, and her wardrobe opened its doors to her every morning.

Y/n entered the kitchen, where Julieta Madrigal, one of the triplets, was working on breakfast for the family.

"Good morning, Julieta," Y/n said with a groggy smile as she entered the room. "Is there anything I can do to help with breakfast?" She always liked to help where she could, especially with the immense stress each member of the family was put under during their daily tasks.

"Good morning Y/n," replied Julieta as she looked up from her work for a moment. "I think I'm just about done here, but you can help Mirabel set the table, if you would like."

"I'll do that." Even though Y/n wasn't related by blood to the Madrigals, she still viewed Pepa and Julieta as sisters and their children as nieces and nephews. She was treated the same way by the family, one of them regardless of blood, except for Alma. That wasn't a problem, though. Y/n was used to it.

Y/n made her way to the dining room, where Casita was already assisting Mirabel with the table-setting. Out the window, three kids were being quite distracting, however, yelling questions about the family and their gifts.

With only a smile and nod as a greeting, Y/n helped Mirabel finish the places then followed Mirabel as she began to sing to the children, with Casita providing musical backup. This was a promising start to the day, due to the fact that Mirabel was bound to have a hard time as the day progressed.

Mirabel sang about how amazing and magical her family was, and introduced her abuela as the leader and the founder of the Madrigals. Alma herself exited her room looking regal as always, wearing her usual magenta dress.

Y/n and Mirabel then made their way out of the house with the rest of the family, waving back to Casita as they went, and the children followed them into the village. The children only got more loud as their exclamations overlapped, asking about the gifts, particularly wondering who had which one. Y/n smiled softly to herself, knowing Mirabel would handle their questions for the moment and she could just watch and enjoy the show.

They all came to a mural of the Madrigal family, just after Mirabel took a cup of coffee away from one child who seemed a bit too energetic. Mirabel pointed at the triplet on the farthest left, beginning her explanation of the family tree.

"My Tia Pepa, her mood affects the weather. When she's unhappy, well, the temperature gets weird." Y/n watched as Mirabel produced an umbrella from somewhere, as though to emphasize her meaning, then tossed it away as she moved past the subject of her aunt.

Mirabel tried to continue left to right along the row of siblings depicted in the mural, but she was interrupted. "My Tio Bruno-"

"We don't talk about Bruno!" sang the villagers, cutting her off before she could continue. Y/n tried to keep her face neutral, but she couldn't fail to notice how several pairs of eyes, including Mirabel's, flitted to her for a brief moment, before Mirabel turned back to the children.