9

With Bruno

Hidden away in a corner of the tunnels far from his rooms, Bruno was feeling stupid.

Why? The reason itself was stupid. He had run from Y/n after her vision, simply because she had been holding someone's hand.

Why did he care? It wasn't like he had any claim to her. Sure, she was his best friend, and the only person who had ever really been there for him, but that didn't mean he didn't want her to have a love life!

So why was he feeling this way? Bruno buried his face in his arms, groaning to himself. "I'm so ridiculous." He was happy for Y/n, that she would have someone she cared about and who cared for her in return. 

He wasn't jealous. That would be crazy. He was never jealous. Plus, he didn't want to be a part of Y/n's romantic life... right?

No, NO NO NO NO NO. Bruno, stop thinking these thoughts RIGHT NOW. You're only considering this because Mirabel made a stupid joke. Even if you did like Y/n romantically, what could you ever give her? You're an awkward, stupid, clumsy, goofy guy. Who would ever see you in a romantic light? No, Y/n deserves someone better. Just walk out there and tell her you're sorry for running and didn't know what you were thinking.

No, no I can't do this. I'm not brave enough. On top of everything else, I'm a coward. 

Bruno mentally slapped himself. He was being ridiculous. It didn't matter what he felt, he was sure he had hurt Y/n by leaving out there. 

Pulling his hood over his head, he became Hernando, who wasn't scared of a little thing like feelings. No, Hernando was scared of nothing!

Hernando got up and quickly navigated the tunnels, deciding to check Y/n's room for her first.

With Y/n

Y/n stared at the hands that were intertwined in her vision. She tried to imagine whose they could be, whose she wanted them to be.

Only one person came to mind, and he had just fled at the very idea.

Y/n placed the vision in a drawer next to her bed and flopped down on top of her blankets, covering her face with her hands. 

What am I thinking? Bruno? My best friend? There's no way he feels like that- AND OF COURSE NEITHER DO I I MEAN WHY WOULD I WE'RE SIMPLY PLATONIC, THERE'S NO ROMANCE THERE.

Y/n's thoughts raced ahead of her, going down a rabbit hole that she couldn't stop. 

For some idiotic reason, she couldn't stop envisioning how cute he looked when he was talking about his telenovelas, or how his hands felt against hers when they were doing her vision.

"Stop. It." muttered Y/n to herself. Don't be stupid. It's not like that, and... even if I did like him.. well, I'm not the right person for him. He needs someone who listens to him and doesn't tease him, who wakes up early in the morning to get him some tea, like he did for me when we were kids. Someone who deserves him.

Y/n found no comfort in this line of thought, and her mind kept being dragged back to him no matter how she tried to distract herself.

After what felt like an eternity of mental torture, Y/n was brought out of her thoughts by a knock on the door. She got up to open it, and found a hooded Bruno, who she instantly recognized as Hernando. 

Hiding her inner sadness well, she smirked at him. "Hello there Hernando. What brings you here?"

"Um- Bruno wanted me to tell you that he's sorry for running and he doesn't know what he was thinking." 

"Well, as lovely as that is to hear from you, I was really hoping to see Bruno himself. Is there any way I can reach him?" Y/n really was glad to be back in his presence, despite the new emotions wrestling in her gut.

"Well- I don't know, he said he wasn't brave enou-"

Before Hernando could finish his sentence, Y/n reached up and pulled back the hood, revealing a slightly distressed/guilty looking Bruno.

"Hola Bruno. I hope you won't always be sending Hernando as a messenger from now on?" She said it like a joke, but Y/n really hoped she hadn't made Bruno uncomfortable enough that he could only talk to her using his hood as a shield between them.

"Um-" Bruno wasn't sure what to say or do now that he was looking Y/n in the eyes face to face. Her beautiful e/c eyes- NOPE. Stop it Bruno, it's not like that. "Well- I just-" he muttered something she couldn't quite make out.

"What?" Y/n really didn't want him to stop being her best friend over some hand in a vision.

"I'mreallysorryandIwasn'tsureI'dbebraveenoughtofaceyouwithoutHernandobecauseIfeellikeIhurtyouandIdontknowifyoucanforgiveme." Bruno said all of this in one breath, without making eye contact.

"Bruno, I-" Before Y/n could say anything else, they both heard shouting from the center of the courtyard. 

Mirabel and Abuela had gotten into and argument, and Isabela was standing on the side rocking a more interesting look than normal. Y/n thought it suited her, but apparently Abuela did not. Mirabel was absolutely going off on Abuela.

"BRUNO LEFT BECAUSE OF YOU!"

"BRUNO DID NOT CARE ABOUT THIS FAMILY!" Abuela shouted back.

"HE LOVES THIS FAMILY! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO DOESN'T CARE. YOU'RE THE REASON OUR FAMILY IS FALLING APART!" 

As Mirabel shouting, the cracks in the Casita grew bigger, and Bruno subconsciously stood in between Mirabel and Y/n, as though protecting her. 

"THE MIRACLE IS DYING BECAUSE OF YOU!"

With this final accusation, the Casita began to crumble and fall. Large chunks of wall and ceiling fell everywhere, and destruction was in every direction. A piece of debris fell right above Y/n, but Bruno saw it and tackled her out of the way, landing on top of her inside her room.

Both of them panicked and froze for a moment at the close contact, but Casita got them back to their feet and Bruno grabbed ahold of Y/n and jumped through her window, holding her close so the glass wouldn't cut her.

They tumbled to a stop on the grass outside, and turned without getting to their feet to watch as Casita collapsed.