16

Bruno and Y/n moved quickly but quietly towards Dolores' room, to find the door already open and her waiting inside.

"Come on, get in here," said Dolores.

Once they were in the room, Dolores shut the door behind them. "I heard what happened. That guy's definitely suspicious."

"Agreed," said Y/n.

"I heard him on his way into town, but I didn't want to say anything in case I was being paranoid. Now, it looks like I wasn't." Dolores was clearly unsettled by the whole situation.

"How can someone outside the Madrigals have a gift?" asked Y/n, but she knew neither of them would have an answer.

"He's strange, that's for sure, but right now the important question is what he wants with our magic," said Bruno.

"I can't be sure of his motives unless he says them out loud. I'm no mind reader." said Dolores.

"Camilo, Pepa, and Felix have already stopped suspecting him. That leaves, Antonio, Mirabel, Isabela, Luisa, Julieta, Agustin, and Abuela," listed Y/n.

"It also depends on how we can make them understand that he may be dangerous," added Bruno. "Unknown magic is always a threat, but depending on his gift it may be hard to make people understand that."

"So the first step is to figure out his gift," concluded Dolores. "I'll be listening, but we may have to piece it together based on his actions."

"For now, though, what do we do?" asked Bruno.

"Try to be inconspicuous, I guess," said Y/n grimly. "Until we can know more."

Dolores moved over to the door, cracking it open so Y/n and Bruno could hear what was going on in the courtyard.

They could hear Abuela's voice, asking Diego to stay for dinner. 

"Guess we can cross Abuela off the list of safe people," muttered Dolores.

Once Diego had agreed, Abuela called out for everyone to come down to dinner. Dolores winced and covered her ears. People headed towards the table from all around the house, some people casting weird looks at Diego, but no one asked questions since Abuela was standing next to him.

Once everyone, including Bruno, Dolores, and Y/n, had sat down at the table, everyone looked towards Abuela for an explanation about Diego.

Abuela cleared her throat. "Everyone, this is Diego. He'll be staying with us for a while, since he's curious about the magic. He, in fact, has a gift of his own."

Most of the people around the table were surprised, but Abuela kept going. "Since we no longer have a spare room, Diego will be staying with Bruno, because he has the most spacious bedroom."

Bruno, Dolores, and Y/n exchanged worried glances, but couldn't say anything.

"Wait, what is Diego's gift?" asked Luisa.

"My gift is the ability to know when someone is lying or telling the truth," replied Diego. 

Luisa seemed to accept this answer with no further questions and went back to her food.

Y/n mentally took note of this, but did not fail to notice that it didn't explain the weird behavior. She knew from a glance at Bruno's face that he had noticed as well.

After that, dinner continued on more or less as usual. Camilo joked around, and at one point Isabela brought up again that Dolores owed her twenty pesos.

"Nuh-uh. They're still denying it so far, and they really haven't yet, as far as I've heard," replied Dolores. "Just because everyone knows changes nothing. Everyone already knew, if their head was on straight."