Chapter Five

India POV

Today is now Friday. I woke up today feeling much more refreshed than the past few days, the anxiety I've been having all week about getting that money out of my ceiling had been weighing heavy on me, especially because I knew my mom would be back home from her hoe expedition soon. She left soon after Brayden had his 6 week appointment and she usually doesn't go more than 4-6weeks without coming back and tearing down the peace I've built for the kids and I. I got us all up and ready before putting the girls on the bus and taking Brayden over to Mrs. Pearls.

When I reached Mrs. Pearls i noticed one of the girls I went to school with at Mrs. Pearls door with her 4 year old son. She lived all the way at the other end of the complex, but Mrs. Pearl usually watches her son when her and her mama going at it. I remember freshman year in high school she left
at the last 3 months of her pregnancy and went to a temporary school called Young Mothers. As I reached the door she smiled at me.

"Goodmornin' India"

"Mornin' Dior"

" How lil man doing?" She asked staring down at Brayden.

"He's doing good, you know they still only be pooping, eating and sleeping for now, in a few weeks though, that might be different story" I laughed.

"Enjoy it while you can" I nodded agreeing with her. I don't think it gets easier until they're about 5 years old. That's where I felt relief for the girls, I'm pretty sure it's no different with Brayden. "Oh India, are you going to that bash that they having over at Pepper 48?" Before I could answer Mrs. Pearl butted in answering for me.

"She sho' is"

"Uhhh un, y'all know I don't go out, plus it's only gon' be me and Brayden tonight, so maybe I can actually catch up on some sleep"

" Nope Bray's coming over here tonight with the me and the other kids, you and Dior are going out tonight." See the last Friday of every month Miss Pearl would get ALL the kids in the neighborhood and let them sleepover, throw them a pizza party with ice cream sundaes and a movie night with snacks. The only way the kids were allowed to come was if they had good behavior at school and at home. The next day she'll make breakfast for them all in the morning before send them off to they mommas by noon. It's usually about 20 or so kids in here aging 4-11, because the smaller ones were to small for her to chase after.

" Oh no, I- ."

" Nu uhn India your going out tonight and I ain't gon' say it again. Your not even 20 yet and your living the life like a old woman, now go to work and on your lunch break go next door to your job and find yourself something nice to wear, don't come to this house until noon tomorrow, anytime before that you'll get left outside, now bye I love ya', be safe, and  have a good day at work" as soon as he said that she shut the door in our faces.

" okay India what time you get off tonight"

"7 but i usually get here at 7:30"

" okay wells text me when you get home, I get off work at 4:30 so I'm gonna be home a bit before you so I'll do my makeup hair and by the time you get to my house I'll be done and I'll do your make up and hair. And you can get dressed at my house."

"Oka-."

" I actually have something you i know you can wear so don't even worry about goin to grab nothin, what size shoe do you wear?"

I looked down at my feet before saying a "6 1/2"

" yup i have your exact size, I was selling outfits a while back and I still have some left over, so yes just come straight over when you get out"

I nodded my before telling her thank you and to have a good day. She said see you later before we both walked off in different directions.

I headed towards Belgi's with a long stride not wanting to be late after standing there till 6:40 talking with Dior and Miss Pearl. On the walk there all I could think of was the fact that I've never been out before. Dior's a cool girl we just never really got a chance to hang out because I'm always working or with the kids. I smiled a little probably looking insane to anyone passing by me, but I was kinda excited. For once I can have fun and let loose with people my age. I'm gonna make sure I make the most of tonight.

As soon as I reached Belgi's I noticed that Mrs. Calloway must of already opened up the store, because the door was already propped open, I checked my phone to see if I was late noticing it was 7:04, we have a 5 minute grace period so I was good. I walked in and went straight to my locker to put my stuff away. I walked onto the floor and began my shift wishing time fast forward to tonight.

12 hours later

I walked back towards the complex as fast as I could hurrying to my house to take a quick shower before going to Dior's. I rushed in hopping in the shower to shave my entire body before getting out and moisturizing my skin with some shea butter lotion, watching as is instantly added a natural shine to my skin. I threw on some sweatpants before locking the apartment and running over to Dior's house.

As I walked up to her door, I softly knocked and she didn't take long to let me in. Dior was already beat to the gods and her hair was in a half up half down pony tail with curls. She pointed to a chair in the middle of her room, asking me to sit there as she started my makeup.

"So how was work?" Dior asked.

"You know, same ole same ole, just a different day"

"Yea girl I know what you mean, im still up at the hospital and they be slaving us like they pay a lot or something" I nodded my head and we began to talk about life and all the stuff we had to go through over the years. Before I knew it she was handing me a mirror to check out my hair and makeup.

"Oh my god, thank you Dior" she put my hair in a braided ponytail that ended at my knees and she beat my face so exotic yet natural. I was looking good.

"No problem girl now hurry up and change into that outfit over there, one of my coworkers is coming to pick us up in like 15 minutes" I turned away from the mirror and started to strip. I saw that the dress had a new pair of thongs sitting on it so I put those on first. The dress had a slit down the right leg and the upper back part was open so I took my bra off also. I slipped the heels on tying them on my ankle before standing up. I looked at myself in the mirror one last time before praying to god that I would last all night in these shoes. I looked goodt, not good, goodt. I can't remember the last time I felt this pretty.Dior looked fine as fuck to. She had on a body con dress with some open toe heels and accessories to match it.

Dior's phone began to ring signaling her coworker was outside. We both headed out the door looking fine as fuck ready to have some fun.