chapter 16

When Hayley hears all the noise Klaus is making she rushes into the room with an unhappy expression

"Hey. Hey! Are you serious with all that noise?" Hayley says to the hybrid.

"Oh,I'm sorry. Has my therapists betrayal inconvenienced your otherwise tranquil day?" Klaus semi-shouted.

"Our daughter has been upset. She's still dealing with the fact that Jack is gone,and the only thing that calms her is her favorite toy which Cami stole to get back at you. And Evelyn is thankfully napping." As Hayley speaks,her tone becomes frustrated. "So,if you wake them up with all this slamming around,so help me,Cami will be the least of your problems."

"It pains be that hope is upset." Klaus says dramatically "So,I'll add it to the long list of grievances I'm already tallying,hmm?"

As Hayley realized just how stressed Klaus is she sighs and speaks, "I know that you're angry at Cami,Klaus. But you know as well as I do that she's not in her right mind."

Klaus snaps "I beg to differ,Camille seems quite lucid tucked away behind the barrier spell in the city of the dead,as she taunts me with the very means of my demise."
___________________________________

Klaus slowly walks up to the bench Hayley is sitting on infront of a sapling "Come to pay your respects?" Hayley asks.

"It's easy to speak well of Jackson." Klaus sighs "He was a good man." Klaus looks over at a small tree a few feet infront of them, "Though it is a bit macabre,isn't it? Burying his heart under a sapling."

"Well,at least Hope and Evelyn will have a place to visit him. I don't want them to forget how much he loved them both." Hayley turns her head away,unable to meet his eyes.

Klaus gives a look of sympathy before speaking "I am sorry...for your loss."

Hayley shakes her head "Everybody's sorry,doesn't make a whole lot of difference does it?"

"Perhaps not. I've heard that time heals all wounds,but that has not been my own experience." Klaus turns his head to look at her. "I wonder if keeping busy might help distract you from your grief?"

"You have something in mind?" Hayley asks him.

"Aurora's still at large,no doubt plotting her revenge. She used Camille to get to me once. She may do so again. And Cami is rather vulnerable. I'd like to provide some safeguarding."

Hayley cocks her head "Isn't that your job?"

Klaus sighs sadly "No. Not anymore."

"Fine." Hayley nodded.
___________________________________

Cami lunges at Hayley with vampire speed and goes to punch her,but Hayley stops her,swats her arm away and grabs her in a choke-hold,raising her up in the air before throwing her backwards.