chapter 2

Elijah Mikaelson walks into the Abattoir while holding a 16 month old baby

Elijah Mikaelson walks into the Abattoir while holding a 16 month old baby. He gently rocks the child hoping he wouldn't wake her.

Klaus Mikaelson walked down the stairs when he heard his brother enter their home. "Brother, you're back." Klaus said, only to pause in his tracks with wide eyes when he saw his brother holding a child.

"Shh, brother you will wake her." Elijah scolded her,  not wanting his brother to wake the small child in his arms.

"My sincerest apologies." Klaus rolled his eyes, "Are you going to tell me who that is?" He asked, gesturing to the child Elijah was holding.

"Her mother abandoned her at Rousseau's." Elijah answered his brother truthfully, earning a look of anger in return. Klaus hesitantly moved towards his brother and looked down at the child he was holding, his eyes softening lightly.

"What do you plan to do with her, brother?" Klaus asked, taking a small step back from him and the child.

"I haven't thought that far." Elijah responded truthfully, he wanted to keep the child but he wasn't sure if he could. He couldn't be a father nor could he deem the child to the fate of being a Mikaelson. 

"You should adopt her." Klaus told him, already knowing his brother cared for the young child. He could see it in his eyes.

"I can't brother. New Orleans isn't safe for a child." Elijah said, shaking his head.

"We will protect her, the same way we shall protect Hope." Klaus replied, looking down at the small child again. There was just something about her that caused both the brothers to immediately care for her.

Klaus glanced up at his brother only to frown as he noticed the still hesitant look on his face. "Elijah, you have been by my side for over a thousand years. And one thing you wanted for so long was to be a father, we all wanted to be parents. You can do this, brother."

After a few moments of silence, Elijah smiled down at the child again and caved. "Alright, I will adopt her."

"Good." Klaus smiled, "Now, does she have a name?"

"Her name is Evelyn." Elijah responded.

"No middle name?" Klaus furrowed his brows in confusion and question. "The note didn't say." Elijah shook his head.

"Well she needs one." Klaus told him.

Elijah thought for a moment before speaking, "Evelyn Lucille Mikaelson." He swore, gazing down at his daughter in affection.

"I like it." Klaus said.