chapter 8

Elijah and Cami are sitting in the living room, where Cami is trying to help him deal with the after-effects of Esther's torture

"Our goal here is to confront your subconscious. An element of my thesis is on suppression of past trauma and how it can manifest in a barren and often violent behavior." Cami explains .

Elijah smiles sarcastically at the blonde and speaks "You know, I believe it was 1897 when a dear friend of mine - let's just call him the godfather of modern psychoanalysis - mentioned something similar to me over tea in a Viennese café."

Cami giggles "Are you name-dropping Freud right now?" Elijah shrugs with a small smile. "Okay, here's something I know that even Freud didn't."

"Oh, do tell!" Elijah says in amusement as he leans
against the couch.

"What it feels like when someone takes away your deepest, ugliest pain without your consent." Elijah's smile falls when he realizes what she's talking about "It is both a blessed relief and a complete violation. Sound familiar?" Elijah looks at her, clearly not liking where this is going. "Good. Let's start with what you've referred to as the "red door."

"That's an image from my past." Elijah says,his voice going quiet and soft. "My youth. It was a door to a slaughterhouse. Sometimes it appears to me in, uh..."He gestures as he searches for the word ".. in flashes. A memory, but it's also a metaphor. It's a place where unspeakable deeds dwell in darkness."

"And have there been many?" Cami questions softly

Elijah rises to his feet and begins to pace around the room "Oh, Camille, you know I'm no stranger to violence. Typically, however, I am possessed of a, uh, certain... control." He runs his fingers across the mantel over the fireplace before continuing "However, now and then, I can be consumed with chaos. And, untethered from that control... this is where the deeds are concealed. Behind that door."

"Why that particular door?" She asks.

"This is where the first woman I ever loved told me she loved me in return." Cami smiles at his words "It's also where I laid her body after I took her life." Cami's smile falls, and she looks at him sympathetically.

"No one knows this. Not even Niklaus. My brother loved Tatia as deeply as I did. He still believes that Mother killed her. Not only is this a lie, it's a lie of my creation. And my brother doesn't forgive." Elijah sighs, visibly troubled by this memory. "He doesn't forget. Therefore, I think it's best that I forget for both of our sakes."

While they talk, Finn, who is still in the Lyonne tomb, takes a deer antler and places it in the bowl of blood, swishing it back and forth through the bowl's contents. Suddenly, Elijah becomes weak, and stumbles into the nearby chair. "Elijah?" Cami asks worriedly. As Finn stirs the blood and the totem mixture, Elijah passes out onto the floor in front of her.

Cami more concerned "Elijah?"
___________________________________
Elijah wakes up with a gasp startling Cami who was waiting for him to wake up,She quickly rises to her feet and starts checking him over.

"Thank God! Are you okay?" She asks,examining him for any injuries.

"For now." Elijah whispers as he takes a deep breath.
___________________________________

Cami sits on the couch with Hope in her arms while Elijah holds Evelyn as he paces around the room and speaks to his brother on the phone.

"How is my daughter?" Klaus asks,wearing a small smile as he thought about his littlest wolf.

Elijah smiles as he looks over at his niece,who was happily playing with Cami "She's in good hands."

"And my niece?" Klaus questions,causing his brother to smile.

Evelyn lifted her head from her fathers chest as she heard her uncle's voice. Elijah makes eye contact with Cami who simply shrugs her shoulders,so Elijah hesitantly put the phone on speaker. "Nik." She squeals.

Klaus's steps falter when he hears his niece say his name. A big smile breaks onto his face as Elijah and Cami stare at Evelyn in slight shock. "She just said my name." Klaus breathed.

"She did brother." Elijah smiled down at his daughter.

"How's my niece doing?" Klaus asks,wearing a bright smile as he continues walking.

"Nik." Little Evelyn says again,bouncing excitedly in her father's arms as she claps her hands together. Elijah kisses his daughter's head before continuing his conversation with Klaus. "If you need me brother,I shall return."

"No,you're needed where you are." Klaus sighed.

"So,the city is safe?" Elijah asks.

Klaus steps over many empty blood bags on the floor of Marcel's loft as he looks around the apartment. "Well,I wouldn't exactly go flinging around terms like 'safe.' Marcel and all his vampires have inexplicably disappeared. Kol is in the wind,Rebekah is still lost, and Finn is dangerously suspicious of the secrets we keep. Speaking of which..I meant what I said. I am capable of forgiveness." Elijah looks as though he's near tears at this uncharacteristic reaction from Klaus. "We need to remain focused on our common enemies. I'll be in touch."

"Daddy." Evelyn says as she pats her dad's cheeks when she see saw the sad expression he was wearing. Elijah can't help but smile down at his daughter.

"I love you." Elijah mumbled as he placed a kiss  on her forehead.
___________________________________