chapter 9

Cami is in the living room,playing with Hope and Evelyn,who are laying on their back on a blanket on the floor

Cami is in the living room,playing with Hope and Evelyn,who are laying on their back on a blanket on the floor. Elijah has just finished cleaning a skillet in preparation to make breakfast for the girls. He puts butter into the pan before cracking an egg into it. Suddenly,he hears a crash in the next room as Hope begins crying,and Elijah vamp-speeds in to see what happened. A broken dish lays on the floor as Cami picks Hope up. Hope has a small cut on her forehead.

"Oh!She yanked the tablecloth and that knick-knack fell on her." Cami explains to Elijah as he tries to soothe Hope while examining her wound. "It's just a scratch."

As Hope continues to scream and cry from the shock of the injury,Elijah is triggered into another one of his visions where he gets flashes of the red door at the end of the hallway. Cami holds Hope closer to her as she tries to snap Elijah out of it.

"Elijah?Elijah?" Cami yells,growing concerned for the suited original. Evelyn begins tugging on her Father's pants,causing him to snap out of the vision. He slowly picks up his daughter and kisses he forehead.

"Yes." He looks down embarrassed and uncomfortable,while Cami looks worried. "Forgive me."
___________________________________

In the living room,Elijah is sitting in the floor with Hope in his lap,where he's putting a cupcake-patterned bandage on the scratch on Hope's forehead. Cami stands in the doorway with Evelyn in her arms as she watches.

"It's a trigger. You pulled yourself back,which is an improvement for sure,but we can't ignore that your mind clearly went elsewhere." Elijah stands,holding Hope in his arms,and faces her,looking uncomfortable. "It's very common in traditional PTSD patients. We've done the work to face your atrocities. The truth is,it's just going to take some time to settle."

Elijah smiles "And you believe you have the power to resolve this?" He asks as Evelyn begins playing with the human's hair.

Cami sighs "It's not that easy. There's no..." She snaps her fingers, "..and you're fixed. In cases like yours,sometimes not dwelling on the problem is more productive than examining it through the minutiae of therapy." She pulls out a list on a sheet of paper and hands it to him. "Staying mentally busy instead of physically. This house-though charming-is completely falling apart."

Elijah examines the list before speaking "So,this is your solution? Mend the home,mend the man?"

"Or,we could go fishing and I could tell you about the summer I lost my virginity-."

Elijah cuts her off with a grimace "I'll mend the home."

Cami nods her head in agreement with a smile "I'll spend the day with Hope and Evelyn! And you spend the day not thinking. And fixing the heater,because this place is freezing at night." Elijah looks at Cami and smiles as she smiles back.
___________________________________

Cami has taken Hope and Evelyn to the Farmer's Market,and she stops for a moment to call Elijah and leave him a voicemail from a pay phone nearby.

"Hey,Elijah. I left my cell at the house like an idiot. Luckily,pay phones are still a thing out here in the sticks." Cami is distracted momentarily when she looks over at Hope in her stroller and realizes the cut on her forehead is no longer visible underneath the bandage. "Um,anyway,we're heading home now."