chapter 7

"Hi,birdie

"Hi,birdie." Elijah greeted his daughter as he picked her up. Little Evelyn grinned at her father before placing her hand on his cheek.

"Daddy." Evelyn greeted her father as she patted his cheek.

"Down." Evelyn said to her father,wanting to be put down to play. Elijah placing a kiss on her forehead before setting her down on the living room floor.
______

Elijah is leaving Rebekah one of what appears to be many voicemails in the doorway between the kitchen and living room."Rebekah, it's me again. Please call."

He hangs up the phone, looking worried. He sighs as he leans against the doorway and watches his daughter and niece play. In the short time they had been here,the two had already gotten along swimmingly and were best friends.Cami is looking through the cabinets in the kitchen when she finds a bottle of bourbon and takes it off the shelf. "Yahtzee! Ah-ha-ha! If there's one thing I've learned about you people, it's that there's always a bottle of booze around." Cami speaks excitedly.She looks in another cabinet for glasses and looks back at Elijah

"You want one?" She asks Elijah.

"Sounds delightful. And after that, Camille, then what? We have another, and another, perhaps another after that, another after that... Before long, I find myself opening up to you, or..." Elijah makes air-quotes with his fingers... "bearing my damaged soul,as it were."

Cami, who has two tumblers and the bottle of bourbon, sits down on the couch in the living room and rolls her eyes "It's an old trick, Camille. Not a particularly clever one." Elijah says blankly.

"Your mother really did a number on you boys, didn't she? Has it ever occurred to you that I'm less interested in fixing your problems and more interested in forgetting my own? I mean, I'm basically in a supernatural witness protection program because your psychotic brother, who, by the way, I practically had to seduce, wants me dead. So, yeah." Camille rants.

Elijah sits down across from her in an armchair and watches as she pulls out Trivial Pursuit and sets it on the coffee table "Booze and board games is pretty much where I'm at right now." She finished her rant.

Elijah rolls his eyes, clearly annoyed, as Cami pulls out one of the game cards and reads it aloud. "Here's a question,What was the name of Don Quixote's horse?" She asks him,attempting to spark up a conversation.

"This is absurd." Elijah mutters.

Cami sighs and sets down the trivia card. "Fine. Dumb idea. How's Hayley? You two seemed close."She casually sips her drink, and Elijah, realizing he only has two options, sighs in defeat.

"Rocinante. The horse's name is Rocinante." Elijah answers her earlier question.

He grabs the bottle of bourbon and pours himself a glass, as Cami smiles.
_______

Cami and Elijah are still playing Trivial Pursuit, and Cami is quickly reading off card after card, frustrated that Elijah knows the correct answer to every question she asks. The girls were asleep on the living room floor,the adults leaving them there not wanting to wake them up.

"What three European countries begin with the letter "A?"." Cami asks as she flips the card over.

"Albania, Austria, Andorra." Elijah answers,beginning to grow bored of the game.

Cami makes a frustrated face and throws the card aside "Agh! Okay, hey! Who was the only U.S. president to earn a Ph.D?"

Elijah makes himself another drink "The rather tedious Woodrow Wilson."

Cami groans and tries to find another question in the stack of cards "Who rode secretariat to the triple crown in 1973-" Elijah cuts her off "Ron Turket."

Cami throws up her hands in frustration and exclaims "No! I refuse to believe that you just happened to know that!"

In her exasperation and drunkenness, she accidentally spills Elijah's drink onto the table and his shirt sleeve and immediately apologizes "I'm sorry! I'm sorry, Elijah. Here."

She hands him a hand towel to clean himself up, which he takes to blot the alcohol from his shirt while she starts looking through the game cards) "Ohhh... Okay, who was..." The longer he tries to dry off his shirt, the more furiously he begins scrubbing at his sleeve, until Cami finally notices and becomes concerned "Elijah? Are you okay? Hey, Elijah." She reaches out to touch his hand, but Elijah quickly grabs her by the wrist to stop her. Her eyes widen in alarm, but he gently sets her arm down

"I'm not as fragile as my brother suggests." Elijah speaks,Elijah and Cami look at each other for a moment until Elijah's phone rings. He answers it, thinking it's Rebekah "Rebekah, where on Earth are you?"He pauses and listens to the voice on the other end "I see. No, I must have been dialing the wrong number. Forgive me."He hangs up the phone, looking distressed.
___________________________________

Elijah is looking out the window of the living room, where he's in the midst of having more flashbacks about chasing Hayley/Tatia down the hallway in his dream, where he is covered in blood. He starts to hyperventilate and gasp for breath. After a moment, Cami quietly comes into the room to talk to him

"Elijah?" Cami speaks up hesitantly She walks closer to him and takes a deep breath. "Elijah, are you okay? Hey, I know you're worried about Rebekah..."

She reaches her hand out to gently touch his shoulder, but he turns and swats her away, his vampire-face coming out as he looks at her. Cami becomes frightened and starts to back away from him while Elijah tries to control himself.

"Elijah? Elijah, please. Calm down." Cami begs.She backs up until she hits the wall and is cornered by him. "Elijah, please calm down!"

She closes her eyes and ducks, sure that he's going to attack her, but when nothing happens, she opens her eyes to find that Elijah is gone. She relaxes and tries to catch her breath, relieved that she didn't get hurt.

Instead of leaving the safe house,Elijah sped into his daughters room. He found her peacefully sleeping in her crib as she held her stuffed bunny tightly in her hands. He knew he should have left,he wasn't in control. Yet the minute he stepped into his little girls room he felt a calming feeling engulf him. Evelyn Mikaelson just had that effect on him,she didn't even need to speak,he just needed to hear her heartbeat and he was fine.
___________________________________
I'm so in love with the bond Elijah and Evelyn have.

 ___________________________________I'm so in love with the bond Elijah and Evelyn have