The Copper Scroll Part 5

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You deciphered the map?" Willem asked, sounding impressed.

"Yeah, we had to use a scytale." Luke nodded. "It led us to the library, where uh, you found us."

Willem sighed. "My great grandfather was obsessed with treasure, and when he discovered Australia, he found it's beaches abundant with it. He dug up every last piece and hid it all together. He created a map that marked where that place was, and all the Willems after him have been trying to find it, but with no luck." He looked up.

"But with your help now, I'd like to team up and find the treasure. I'm the only one who knows what the second clue is anyways, so you need me."

"How do you know what the second clue is?" Michael asked suspiciously.

"My great grandfather passed it down to us as the only clue." Willem smiled. "To show you that us Redshirts aren't as bad as Joseph makes us seem, I'll tell you the clue and then you can decide if you want to join forces or not. If not, we will gladly sail you back home, no strings attached."

"Sounds okay to me." Calum said. "I'm in."

"Yeah, me too." Michael nodded.

"Same. I'm in." Luke said.

"I'm not."

Everyone snapped their heads to Ashton.

"What do you mean you're not in?" Luke hissed.

Ashton ignored him and crossed his arms. He looked at Willem. "I'd like to go home please."

Willem nodded. "Alright. Im sad to see you go, but I won't force you to stay. But to the rest of you, here's the second clue." He leaned forward.

"Riddle me this; buried under something that gets bigger the more you take away, hides a clue that will lead you to the bay. You must be specific, as this clue is in the Pacific. Knowledge is key, and when you discover it the happier you'll be, for then you'll be closer to your treasure and if you get stuck, just look for the feather."

"Ugh, does it have to rhyme?" Michael grumbled.

"What gets bigger the more you take away?" Calum wondered.

"What does it mean by 'look for the feather'?" Luke frowned. "A bird?"

Willem shrugged. "I'm as clueless as you. I didn't even know what the first clue was until now."

He stood up. "We will head back to Sydney right away, and then we'll sail to the Pacific."

He locked eyes with Ashton. "Are you sure you wish to leave?"

Ashton matched his gaze. "Very."

"Ashton, why are you doing this?" Calum whispered, grabbing onto his arm.

"It seems your friend wishes to join up with a different team." Willem said smoothly.

"Huh?" Luke snapped his head up. "What team?" (Wildcats!)

"Our old police friends." Willem led them out of the office.

"How do you know that?" Michael asked.

"I know his type. He wouldn't come this far to just quit. He doesn't trust us and wants to team up with the police instead." He grabbed Ashton suddenly and stomped backwards down to the brig. "Which is why I must do this. The FBI is our number one enemy, any allie of them is a threat to us."

Ashton didn't protest as Willem locked him back in the cell.

"Wait, but, wait." Calum frowned. "I'm so lost."

"Ashton?" Luke asked timidly.

Ashton crossed his arms and looked away.

"You traitor!" Michael hissed, hitting his hand against the bars. "How long have you been planning this? Since your interview?"

"Ash, is this true?" Calum asked.

"Sorry, Cal." Ashton whispered, finally meeting someone's eyes.

"You were going to take all the treasury and credit for yourself!" Michael accused.

"You're no longer our friend here, Mr. Ashton." Willem said. "But I will still bring you home, safe and sound."

He left and slowly, Michael and Calum followed.

Luke stayed behind and walked up to the door.

"What's your plan here exactly?" He asked.

Ashton turned away. "No plan. I'm just done."

"Joining with the FBI isn't being done." Luke glared and hooked his fingers around the bars. "What are you doing? And why are you doing this?"

"I told you, I'm done."

"Is it because of what I said? I'm sorry okay? I take it back. Now stop this and join us! Willem is the good guy here." Luke huffed.

"Leave me alone."

Luke tightened his grip. "Whatever, I never wanted to work with you anyways."

He stomped back up the stairs, paused, and turned around.

"Asshole." He snapped, before blowing out the torch.

Leaving Ashton in complete darkness.
-------------------------------------------------------

Im finally done with school aayyyye