25

yeonjun used to visit his grandfather weekly, so it has been quite a while since he went to visit his grandfather, the last time being a week before he went for his heart surgery, and it was roughly 10 months ago.

from what he remembered, his grandfather is always in a singlet, if not he's in a full body suit. he was quite bony, and tall. he would walk with a walking stick because he couldn't walk very well, but he was a very nice man.

yeonjun's mom drove him to the old house that they would go to every sunday, and the brown haired boy was nervous. he wasn't sure if his grandfather would even remember him, and he wasn't sure how sick he was either.

he played with his fingers throughout the whole ride, and he only looked up from his fingers when his mom pulled over.

"we're here junnie."

"don't call me that."

yeonjun spats out, walking into the house without looking at his mother. he was still angry at her, ever since that fateful day his mother still remained tight lipped at the secret that she kept from him, and it angered him. he's been giving her the cold shoulder, and it made both of his parents worry.

his grandmother was there at the entrance, waiting for their arrival. yeonjun thought she looked smaller than she previously was, and her eyebags were visibly darker. yeonjun took off his shoes and bowed respectfully at the old woman.

"halmeoni."

"ah my precious yeonjunnie, how have you been?"

yeonjun smiles, mumbling a quick "fine" and he stares at his feet. his grandmother sensed his uneasiness so she pats him on the shoulder and gives him a reassuring smile.

"i'm sure he remembers you, he talks about you all the time, you must be his favourite grandchild."

yeonjun nods, and scratches the back of his head.

"where is he?"

"in his room, be careful though, don't trip over. it's kind of clustered inside."

yeonjun nods and bows again, and made his way into his grandfather's room. it used to be a simple room, with a tv and a wardrobe, plus a big bed for him and his wife to sleep on.

yeonjun knocked on the closed door, holding his breath and he twisted the door handle. he steps inside quietly, and the sound of some machinery hits his ears. he closed the door behind him, before finally turning his body to face his grandfather fully.

he almost gasps out loud, seeing his grandfather look so sickly. he was connected to oximeter, which was supplying him with oxygen. the bed was replaced with a hospital bed, and the old man himself looked like a skeleton with flesh. he was so bony, yeonjun was sure that he would be able to see his ribcage if his singlet was removed. his toe was turning black, yeonjun doesn't know what was happening but he definitely knew that his grandfather's days were numbered.

the old man was sleeping, and for a hot minute yeonjun thought he was dead, but he let out a soft sigh when he noticed that he was still breathing. he touched his grandfather's arm, gently shaking him awake.

"halabeoji."

yeonjun says when he makes eye contact with the old man. instantly, the old man's face lit up, and yeonjun smiles back, maybe his grandfather didn't forget him after all!

"oh hello, are you the new nurse that my wife hired?"

yeonjun's smile instantly fades, his heart clenched slightly. he grabs his grandfather's hand, trying his best to keep the smile on his face.

"nope, i'm yeonjunnie, remember?"

yeonjun says, hoping that his grandfather would laugh and start joking with him again, just like 10 months ago.

"ah you know yeonjunnie too? he's my pride and joy since he was born, too bad he's in the hospital right now. oh let me tell you, one day he came over, and he gave me a cute drawing. i kept it in my wallet ever since. my little fox has a heart bypass surgery right now, i hope he's recovering well."

the old man replies, laughing. yeonjun doesn't laugh back, his expression sullen. he hasn't heard his grandfather call him "little fox" anymore. he stopped when yeonjun was 10, and only because yeonjun told him that he's too old for that.

"halabeoji-"

"you are really handsome too, just like junnie. he told me that he doesn't like to go back to the hospital for reviews because it hurts seeing his parents work so hard to pay off hospital bills. seeing him in pain makes me upset as well. when you visit him at the hospital can you help me tell him that i love him very much and i wish him a speedy recovery?"

"..."

yeonjun nods, and he takes his grandfather's hand, pressing a soft kiss on it.

"will do."

"i'm going to take a nap again, good night."

and with that, the poor old man dozed off, leaving yeonjun sitting helplessly.

yeonjun rubs his grandfather's hands with his, his heart filling up with confusion emotions. his grandfather doesn't recognise him, but yet he still remembers about his existence. guilt ate him on the inside, and he remembers how he would push the old man away because he found him annoying.

"can you help me tell him that i love him very much and i wish him a speedy recovery?"

"i love you too."

the boy murmured, feeling just as small as how he felt months ago, alone in the hospital with no one to rely on.

~

a/n: i hate this chapter but i'm so hyped for zhongli banner it's not funny anym 😭😭