34. When we meet

Chapter 34

Dylan's Pov.

I walked down the paved sidewalk with my hands in my pocket. I breathed in the Autumn air as I observed the leaves turning green.

I remembered the time fall had came last year. How I was a completely different person than what I was now.

It's crazy how much a person can change.

I hadn't seen Lacey in months and it killed me to know that the child would be born without me witnessing it.

Hell, the baby could've been born already and I wouldn't know. I know that I may sound cowardly from running away, but I honestly couldn't take it anymore.

That child wasn't mine.

It was Cole's.

I had no right to stick around to watch that child grow up and for Cole and Lacey to get closer before my very own eyes.

I couldn't.

It felt good to be back after I had left and ran to the only place I had left to go to.

Blake's house.

His family was generous enough to take me into their home for awhile. I steered clear from Lacey and Cole so that they could have all the space they needed to raise that child.

But let me tell you....

It hurt like a fucking bitch.

I enter the café that wasn't as crowded as usual today. I walk up to the counter and I instantly get greeted by a warm smiling lady.

"What can I get'cha darling?" She had a certain accent in her voice that made me feel at home.

"Yes, can I have a chai tea latte." she nods her head while smiling at me.

I wait for only a few minutes before she hands me the tea drink. I take a sip out of it regardless of the hotness burned my tongue. Taking a seat near the back, I try to collect all my thoughts.

How long was I going to stay away from Lacey?

What if Lacey and Cole were dating?

What if I never saw her again?

I let out a frustrated sign while running my hand roughly through my hair.

Just when I think I'm going to explode from overthinking, I see a mother carrying her child in her arms.

That mother looked familiar...

Almost as if I'd seen her before.

"Can I have a chai tea latte, thanks." the girl smiles at the waiter while rocking the baby back and forth. I could only see the back of her, but I swear to you....

I knew this girl.

Suddenly as if it was all coming together, she turned around showing her face fully.

It was still as beautiful as I remembered. Some things had changed though. She had lost the baby weight she once had and her chest was more filled out than the last time I saw her.

As if feeling my eyes on her she snaps her face towards mine. Our eyes connect in a fire blazing gaze. The lady behind the counter broke both of our gazes as she handed the tea to her.

She turns to look at me for a moment before she makes her way out to the front door.

"Wait!" I cry out before bolting out of my seat and reaching out to her. She looks down at my hand on her arm before looking up at me.