|| Chapter Forty Two ||

(Y/N)'s eyes blinked open as the sound of her alarm whirred in her ear, ripping her from her dreams

(Y/N)'s eyes blinked open as the sound of her alarm whirred in her ear, ripping her from her dreams. She groaned and rolled over, trying to ignore it before finally succumbing to the noise. She slowly got up and breathed in, only to choke on the suffocating smell resonating around the room. She coughed and grimaced, her eyes scanning the room for the source of the awful smell before catching sight of the used litter box. She held her breath and rushed towards the window, opening it and allowing the cold morning air to blow into her room. She sighed at the scent of newly dewed grass before turning and flipping the lift switch on, squinting as the light was shed. She ducked and looked under the bed, gazing at the black fluff still tucked beneath the bed. She smiled at it kindly, finally meeting its orange eyes once again for the first time after the night she had saved it. For the time after that, it had faced the wall, curled in a protective huddle - now it was crouch-sitting and staring back at her.

"Progress." She whispered to herself with a proud nod before getting up.

She looked down and noticed that the "food bowl" had been emptied of food. She smiled happily that the cat was eating before grabbing another sachet and emptying it into the bowl. She only then realised that she hadn't put any water down. She stared at the food bowl for a few seconds before running into the bathroom, grabbing the empty glass next to the sink, and filling it to the very brim with water. She set it down next to the food and made sure to get food bowls even sooner than she had first planned. Her temporary measures wouldn't last for a long time.

She yawned and stretched her arms, walking to her chest of drawers and grabbing her uniform. She dressed herself, brushed her teeth, and brushed her hair. She grabbed her school bag and began to pack all her belongings inside it, as well as her hero costume and all the gadgets that came with it. She set her bag on the bed and pulled out her phone, calling her brother.

"Hello?" A croaky voice answered.

"Noah?" (Y/N) responded quietly.

"Why the fuck are you calling me?" Noah whined. "It's 6 in the morning."

"You told me to call you when I was about to leave." She chuckled as she stood and walked towards her shoes.

"You're leaving now! I expected it to be at like 9!" He complained.

(Y/N) smiled. "Yeah well, it's a long journey there and apparently Hawks doesn't like waiting. So may as well get there early." She shrugged, slipping her shoes on. "You doing okay?"

"(Y/N), don't make small talk, I wanna go back to sleep. Now go before you get in trouble with the number two pro-hero." Noah ordered like a mother.

"You're becoming more and more like Masako every day." (Y/N) mused.

"GOOD NIGHT!" Noah screeched into the phone before hanging up and most likely falling straight back to sleep.

(Y/N) chuckled at her phone before grabbing her bag and swinging it onto her back, tucking her phone in the side pocket. She locked the door behind her as she left and descended down the stairs to the front lobby where Tokoyami was already standing.