|| Chapter Thirty One ||

(Y/N) lay in bed staring up at the ceiling with a frown

(Y/N) lay in bed staring up at the ceiling with a frown. Her forehead was thinly layered with sweat and her eyes stung with blurriness that never seemed to go away no matter how much she blinked.

The symptoms of being stuck in a marble for so long were still very prominent and she was having trouble getting back to her usual self. She had been rolling around in bed for hours, drifting in and out of sleep continuously but never being able to settle into a relaxed rest. Every time she did eventually allow her mind to sleep, she was bombarded with regretful thoughts and horrible memories she wished she could just erase.

She rose from the bed with a groan, rubbing her eyes and switching the light on. She squeezed her eyes shut at the brightness before slowly peeking them open to get used to it. She shuffled around her room in boredom before finally going up to her bookshelf and grabbing the book she was due to read but never got around to. She put it on her bedside table before escaping her dorm and quietly heading down to the kitchen. She always read a book and drank some milk when she couldn't sleep - two methods to make one tired shoved into a comfortable reading session.

She closed her door quietly and tiptoed past the rooms neighbouring hers and slowly went down the stairs. Even when she was on the ground floor, she was exceptionally silent. She carefully opened the fridge and grabbed the carton of milk, pouring it into a glass and carefully lifting it to her lips. She sipped at the milk and put the carton back. She turned to go back to her room only to see Bakugou standing just a few metres away from her.

(Y/N) let out a shocked yelp, not expecting to see his blank face in the darkness at 3 a.m. She put a hand to her chest before setting the glass on the counter. He said nothing. Her brows furrowed before timidly asking; "Are you alright?"

"What are you doing up?" He wondered.

"I could ask you the same thing." She shrugged.

"I asked first." He gritted.

She smiled lightly before answering. "I just couldn't sleep."

"Me neither." He grunted.

(Y/N) stared at him for a few seconds before realising that was the extent of the conversation. She bid a quiet goodbye, picked up her glass, and swivelled around his blocking body.

"Wait." He sighed.

"Hm?"

"I- I need to thank you for trying to help me..." Bakugou gulped.

"You need to?" (Y/N) interrogated.

Bakugou didn't answer.

"Have you thanked everyone else?" She inquired with a raised brow.

Bakugou's jaw tightened. He stared at her fiercely. (Y/N) felt increasingly uncomfortable beneath his gaze. His eyes were shadowed by the darkness of the kitchen. She couldn't quite tell what was going on behind them.

(Y/N) sighed. "Bakugou-"

"No." He interrupted. "I didn't thank anyone else." He admitted.

(Y/N) frowned. "And why is that?" She asked. She felt as though she was stepping over the line but she didn't stop. She knew Bakugou would tell her to shut up if he wanted to do so. His vulnerability was almost admirable.

"I don't know." He mumbled.

(Y/N) continued to look at him. "Why don't you?" She wondered.

Bakugou shrugged. His hostility had significantly lessened.

"I think maybe you should consider thanking the others as well, like Midoriya and Todoroki, before me. Don't thank me just because I got turned into a marble or whatever." (Y/N) advised kindly. Her voice was soft and shallow, but easily audible in the silence of the ground floor. "I don't want your pity, and I know you don't want it from anyone else either."

Bakugou nodded slowly. "I was scared." He voiced timidly. "When I was pulled into the portal. I was scared. Not only for me... but for you."

(Y/N) raised an inquisitive brow. She certainly didn't expect such a confession.

"If the villains were able to defeat you... I wasn't sure what they would be able to do to me." He sighed. His voice was a mere mumble.

(Y/N) looked at him sadly. "I'm sorry you felt that way." She muttered. She took a step forward closer to him. She looked into his eyes with a kindness he greatly appreciated but was too frightened to accept. "I'm sorry this happened to you as well. I really am. It must have been horrible."

Bakugou looked at her. "It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. They just wanted me to be part of that shitty team of villains. They just tied me up." He shrugged with a small grunt of dismissal.

(Y/N) smiled an absurd smile. "Only tied you up? Only you, Bakugou, would say something so nonchalantly." She chuckled.

Bakugou did not join her amusement. His lips remained in a downturned frown. His eyes were fierce and his brows were furrowed tensely.

"Thank you... for saying that though." (Y/N) breathed with a smile. "Thank you for trying to be strong, and thank you for acknowledging that I was also trying to be strong." She smiled. "I did fail, admittedly." She laughed at herself.

Bakugou inhaled sharply. "You did more than was asked of you."

(Y/N)'s smile widened. "Isn't that what being a hero is all about?" She countered. "I saw someone in danger and I fought for them."

Bakugou let the silence linger for a moment. "Don't tell anyone about this."

(Y/N) raised a brow before sighing. "I won't tell anyone that you were vulnerable." She smiled.

Bakugou's face morphed into one of rage. "I was not vulnerable." He spat.

(Y/N)'s eyes widened. She took a step away from him. "Right. Sorry." She held her hands up in surrender. "You weren't vulnerable." She shook her head. "Nothing happened."

Bakugou sneered at her distastefully as he turned away from her.

"Goodnight!" She called out to him as he trekked down the large open space and towards the stairwell.

She received no response.