|| Chapter Thirty Seven ||

(Y/N) made her way to the results board after having changed

(Y/N) made her way to the results board after having changed. She sustained no injuries throughout the entirety of the exam except for a few scrapes and bruises so there was no need to clog up the line. She approached the board that displayed a blank black slate of nothingness. She sighed and closed her eyes, allowing herself to relax for just a millisecond before intrusive thoughts invaded her peace and quiet. She nibbled at her bottom lip nervously. Her confidence was little to none at this point.

"Yamasaki." A voice came from beside her.

"Hm?" She acknowledged, looking to see Todoroki standing uncomfortably next to her.

"Thank you for protecting me."

"Thank you for protecting me." She countered with a small smile.

He did not return it. "How do you know Yoarashi?" He wondered bluntly.

"We met at the internships." (Y/N) answered. With her exhaustion, she hadn't realised Todoroki's tension so her reply was casual.

"Shiketsu had internships as well?" He frowned.

"The hero was a family friend of his that invited him." (Y/N) turned to him with no real purpose.

"I see." His tone was flat.

(Y/N) didn't notice any difference from the usual monotone. But she did know something was off. "You alright?"

"I'm fine," Todoroki mumbled.

(Y/N) wanted to pry, but she didn't want to be invasive. So she held back.

There was a moment of silence before he spoke again.

"When did you create the combined attack?"

"We met up about a week ago to make it." She nodded. She felt as though she was lying even though she wasn't.

"Why?" He prodded.

"I don't know. He asked and I didn't have a problem with it." She was starting to feel uncomfortable.

"I see." He finished again.

The results are revealed very quickly after that.

(Y/N)'s eyes traced the names on the board, panic building as she approached the end.

But fourth to last, she saw the name; '(Y/N) Yamasaki.'

She smiled in delight, her heart blooming with utter relief.

"Congratulations." Came Todoroki's voice from beside her.

She froze. She didn't see his name. She's been through that whole list and saw almost everyone in her class, but didn't see his. She gulped. "T-Thank you."

"Todoroki!" Yoarashi came bursting to the back of the crowd. "Please accept my dearest apologies for preventing you from obtaining your Provisional Hero License because of my false judgement!" He slammed his head into the ground.

It was now Todoroki's turn to freeze and panic just as (Y/N) had done before.

"And (Y/N)!" Yoarashi rose from the ground and grinned at (Y/N) who was standing awkwardly. "I am so proud of you! Congratulations!" He took a large step towards her and engulfed her in his large arms, hugging her tightly.

"T-Thanks!" She stuttered again. She hated herself for it. Her guilt and embarrassment were too much and she was beginning to malfunction.

"It looks like you have beaten me this round! But know! I will not let it happen again!" Yoarashi cheered, taking no notice of her sudden shyness.

(Y/N) relaxed at his words, smiling genuinely. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?"

Yoarashi's face lit up.

"We will now be handing out your official Hero Licences. For those who did not pass the exam, please keep in mind that you may be given the opportunity to gain your licences by attending a three-month-long remedial course."

The commission officer who handed (Y/N) her licence handed her a sheet of paper that contained all the details of her performance, and how they marked it. Her eyes skimmed over the report before she folded it and looked at her licence. She'd read the report fully when she wasn't so exhausted.

"Bye, (Y/N)!" Yoarashi waved his arm restlessly at (Y/N) who smiled at him as she boarded the bus. Yoarashi's large smile dropped once she was out of his sight. He averted his gaze to a certain dual-haired male. "Todoroki."

The said student turned to Yoarashi with an intrigued expression.

"I shall see you at the remedial course. But know, I still don't like you. I am sorry." And with that, Yoarashi went to join his class on his own bus.

Todoroki stared at Yoarashi's distancing body, his eyes stern and cold. He got on the bus and waited to get back to the dorms.