Chapter Nine - Cassandra

Cassandra ~

I finished getting ready in the elegant private bathroom at the venue making sure the door was locked so no one walked in while I was changing. The lavish counters were too wide so I climbed on top of them to get closer to the mirror. It wasn't ladylike in the least, but maybe I wasn't classy enough to be considered a true lady.

My dark chair hung in loose curls down my back as I pressed my lips together, inspecting my lipstick before hopping off the counter and slipping on my heels.

Letting out a sigh I did some quick math in my head as I smoothed the wrinkles from my dress.

Only five hours until I can go home to my bed.

Giving myself one final once over, I did a quick turn in the mirror and headed out into the hungry mob of wealthy snobs, waiting to brag about meaningless bullshit.

The next few hours were mind numbing, but I found the few people I trusted and cared for and let them breathe life into me with humor and realness that the rest of the room was lacking.

I had bonded with the women I worked with and genuinely enjoyed their company. Joining them at the bar was like a breath of fresh air as I took a break from the surface level fakeness from the wealthy elite that surrounded me.

"You've got quite the following tonight." Molly said, taking notice of a few men who had arrived and were eyeing me up and down.

"They want my bank account, not me." I corrected her as I took a sip of my champagne.

"It certainly looks like they want you."

None of those men could handle me. Cowards with fat wallets...that's all they are.

"Oh shit." Mia said, as she quickly turned her back to one of the men with a panicked look on her face.

"What?" I asked as the entire group turned their attention to Mia.

"The guy that just walked in...right behind us with the terrible shoes." She said frantically, refusing to turn around.

"What about him?" Jessica asked, already glaring at the man.

"I um...may have slept with him a few nights ago and haven't talked to him since. He sort of ghosted me. I really don't want him to see me."

Her embarrassment radiated off of her and I watched as Lilly and Jessica moved their bodies to block Mia from view.

Mia was breathtaking and to see her try to hide behind us to avoid judgment from a man made my blood boil.

I leaned forward against the bar, lowering my head so that only Mia could hear my words.

"Did you fuck him or did he fuck you?" I asked.

Mia whipped her head up to give me a confused look as she scrunched her face and tilted her head.

"What? What's the difference?"

Letting out a sigh, I glanced over my shoulder at the man in question, knowing just by looking at him for the past five seconds that he was a bad lay.

"Did you finish?" I asked Mia, who was equally if not more horrified and confused by my second question.

"Cassie!" She practically shrieked.

"Answer the question..."

I could tell that she considered lying to me, but ultimately relented and told me the truth in a voice barely over a whisper.

"Well...no." She admitted.

"Then you fucked him, not the other way around." I corrected her, but she still seemed confused.