Chapter Eight - Cassandra

Cassandra ~

There wasn't enough concealer on earth to hide the dark circles under my eyes, but that didn't stop the world from turning. The sun rose all the same and I had a day full of meetings followed by a charity ball that I had foolishly decided to host.

"Have you made any decision on Sunset Property?" Mark asked as soon as I had a break between meetings.

Before he met his opportunistic demise, Bennett's real estate company had acquired a property that was extremely profitable. Bennett fought tooth and nail to purchase that property, knowing it would rain down money into his bank account...and I couldn't wait to sell it.

"I want it gone." I said flatly, without moving my eyes from the documents in front of me.

Mark scoffed at me and leaned onto the desk, trying to get my attention to show his disapproval.

"It's a cash cow, Cassandra." He mansplained to me in a condescending tone that I didn't care for.

"I understand how lucrative it is...now get rid of it." I hissed without hesitation.

Selling off an asset that Bennett had yearned for for so long was going to be satisfying and the financial hit was going to be minimal, especially if I could sell it for a high asking price.

"100 Million" I said without any emotion in my voice.

"Do you realize how much money you are throwing away if you sell it for that? It's an investment that you'll turn a profit from for years...your children's, children would be set for life from that property alone."

His words flew all over me and I glared at him from my seat before standing to meet his gaze.

"I don't have children Mark. And can't for that matter. Not that it's any of your business. So...listen to my words carefully as your boss and stop trying to patronize me by bringing up my nonexistent children. Sell the fucking property."

My whole body was rigid and furious as I seethed in front of Mark who had good intentions, but poor delivery. He had still yet to realize that the money meant nothing to me, but the revenge meant everything.

"You're making a mistake Cassandra, But you're the queen of the castle." Mark said in a low irritated voice.

"You're damn right I am."

I had no intention of keeping any properties that were meaningful to Bennett. In fact I had sent my assistant Lilly to bid on a property that Bennett had refused to consider. It was small, but it was gorgeous. I told him I liked it, but he didn't see enough dollar signs behind it to purchase it. That's what this was about. Every move I made had stopped being about profit and started being about what brought me joy.

Closing my eyes I rubbed my temples, waving in the event planner who had helped me organize the charity ball I was hosting that evening. We finalized the details and she left my office to return to the venue for final preparations.

There is no part of me that wants to attend this, but it's for a good cause. I can push through and make it until it's over.

Taking advantage of a few minutes of solitude, I leaned forward and rested my head on my arms as I leaned against my desk. My heavy eyelids closed and I felt my whole body relax as I tried to think about nothing, which was oddly difficult.

"Cassie?" Lilly said from the doorway, hesitantly entering as she lightly tapped on the frame.

"Come in, I was just resting my eyes. How'd we do on the Seaside property?"

Lilly's gaze was glued to the floor as she spoke which was all the answer I needed.

"We got outbid."

"By who?" I snapped.

"Kingston & Merrill"

I huffed out an irritated breath, not at the financial loss, but the fact that I had big plans for that property that were now thwarted. It was significant to me and I was slightly pissed that Lilly had let it happen, but it wasn't her fault. I sent a lamb to the lions den when I should have gone myself.

Wait a second...Kingston & Merrill...whose company is that?

"Hold on. Kingston & Merrill? Is that Wade Kingston's investment company?"

Lilly nodded at me in response, but didn't say a word.

"Of course it is. What an asshole." I mumbled under my breath.

"I'm sorry..." Lilly said with her gaze still focused on the floor.

Her cowered posture and inability to look me in the eye was unsettling and something I had to remedy that very second if this working relationship was going to continue.

"Lilly look at me." I instructed firmly.

"Don't ever stare at the ground when you talk to people. You're a strong woman and you need to act like it. Now...Look me in the eyes and tell me you were outbid today."

Doing as I asked, Lilly raised her eyes to meet mine and squared her shoulders at me, lifting her chin for added effect.

There you go babe.

"We were outbid today." She said with more confidence and less fear than before.

"Did you bid my max offer?" I asked.

"Yes." She said without hesitation.

"Then you did your job. Sometimes shit happens, but that shouldn't make you any less confident in yourself. Don't ever act like that in front of me. We're equals. Do you understand?"

"Yes." Lilly said with a small smile curling up the corner of her mouth.

"Good. Now both of us need to head home to get ready for this charity event."

I gave Lilly a hug that we both needed before grabbing my things and heading down to my car that was waiting for me outside. My thoughts were all over the place, but seemed to circle back and land on one irritating fact.

My max offer was well above the asking price for that property and way more than it was worth. Kingston had to have outbid me just to fuck with me. 

************

Thoughts? Theories? I love hearing from you!