The Adventures of Merlin, Series 4: Chapter 30, Part 1

Start from the beginning

It's been a year since Arthur took over and he's insisted I don't hide my elf ears any longer. As long as he's King, I'll have no fear of hiding my appearance. So I lifted the glamour.

It was strange, at first, going around town in my true form. People kept staring at me for a long time but eventually got used to my ears. I'd often use my magic to help the people of Camelot, including the sick.

Arthur has been grateful for my assistance but I'm not too sure about his uncle, Agravaine. There's something about him I don't like, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

The knights had just gotten back from patrol, and are now giving their report to Arthur, who has taken over as King, until his father gets well again. Lord Agravaine watches everything from the shadows of the room.

"The reports are true, Sire," Leon says. "We caught up to Morgana on the Plains of Danaria."

"Was she alone?" Arthur asks in a steady, calm tone, no sign of wavering in it.

Shaking his head, Sir Elyan responds, "There was no one else."

"Morgause? Cassius?"

"Couldn't be sure. And Cassius was nowhere in sight."

I clench my fingers at my sides.

Agravaine asks in a smooth, velvety voice that makes my skin crawl, "Where was Morgana heading?"

"The Seas of Meredor," Answers Leon.

"The Isle of the Blessed," Gaius speaks up for the King.

Agravaine steps forward as he states, arms crossed over his chest, "I'll send out patrols at first light." He has chin length raven black hair that's slicked back and wears a black long sleeved tunic, pants and cloak over his shoulders.

"Thank you, Agravaine," Arthur says gratefully.

"Sire, you should know her powers have grown," Leon warns the black haired man. "Sir Bertrand and Sir Montague are both dead."

A solemn expression passes over the Pendragon's face as it does mine. He states, arms crossed, "Keep me informed of any developments."

Leon and Elyan both nod before we turn and leave the council room.

"For months, nothing. But why now?" Arthur asks, addressing both me and Agravaine in a grave voice.

I tell them, "We knew she couldn't stay hidden forever. Any day, really?"

Agravaine states in agreement, "We mustn't live in fear, Arthur. Camelot is strong. If Morgana were to act, we'd be ready for her."

Arthur says with a nod, "You're right, of course. I don't know how I'd had gotten through these last few months without you. Especially you." He puts a hand on the ravenette's shoulder before squeezing my left arm gently, giving my daughter a grateful smile. "Thank you, Uncle, Astrid." She smiles at him widely.

Agravaine tells me, "It must be strange, isn't it? To walk around and not have to hide your appearance?"

"It was, at first, but I've gotten used to it. It's been so long..."

Arthur says to me while placing a hand on my shoulder, "Well, as long as I'm King, you'll no longer need to hide, Astrid."

I nod gratefully to my friend.

I curtsy to Agravaine and Arthur and turn to leave, quickly catching up with Merlin, Jas and Gaius.