26. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Finals

Start from the beginning

A look of confusion passed over her face, then recognition.

"Wait, I gave that to you like six months ago," Nakano said, amazed. He nodded. It was humiliating that he'd kept it for so long. He hadn't known what else to do with it, though. It was as if some otherworldly entity had possessed him and made him keep the coin. Actually, it kind of freaked him out that he had kept it because what the fuck?

A small grin snuck onto her lips, and Nakano hugged her arms shyly. It was kind of adorable, the way she was pleased by his stupid actions.

Wait.

Not this again.

Fucking fuck, why am I finding her cute?!

Bakugo internally combusted, once again reminded of this annoying recurring thought. He pushed it down for the moment, not wanting to have to go through yet another back and forth in his head about how the fuck he felt about her.

Only friends, he'd told himself over and over again. That's the way he felt about her, and even if he was wrong, there was no way things could be different. Sure, she liked him, but crushes didn't stop time. She'd still have to go back to California.

Plus, he was about ninety percent sure he didn't like her. Maybe the way his heart raced whenever she was near him was pushing the boundaries of friendship, but did he look like he gave a fuck? It didn't matter what these signs could logically mean, because he knew deep down that everything was strictly platonic.

Bakugo cleared his throat, now needing a distraction from his own thoughts.

"Finals are next week. You gonna study?" he asked. Nakano shrugged.

"Kinda have to if I wanna pass history," she replied. "Mina was talking about doing a group study session because she wants me to help her with math."

"Hm. Good luck with that," Bakugo said, opening the door to the dorm building for her.

"I'm guessing you're not going to join us?" she asked with a teasing smile. "'I don't hang out with extras' or whatever."

Bakugo turned slightly red.

"Hey, I haven't even said that in forever..." he grumbled. "But yeah, you were spot on."

Nakano laughed then, and they parted ways. Bakugo could barely hold back a grin. Looks like he hadn't done such a bad job.

-----

Kuri's eyes scanned over the page, quickly checking Mina's answers. She hummed in thought.

"Looks like you only missed number seven and fifteen," Kuri said, pointing at the paper. "Let's go through them together..."

Kuri, Mina, and some of her other classmates had gathered in the common room on Wednesday night for their third day of topic review. Kuri, fast at work as always, had finished doing her review the day before and was now helping everyone else.

That Monday, Mr. Aizawa had told them that they were going to do a two-week summer training camp (on-campus this time, due to the previous year's catastrophe), and anyone who failed the final would have to do make-up classes. Mina had told Kuri about the year before where she failed the practical and just barely passed the written exams, and this time she was determined to do well. They had made a plan to study and train in the days leading up to the test week in preparation, and things were going well so far.

As expected, Bakugo did not join in. That was fine with her, though. In the past week, she'd had four separate dreams about going on dates with Bakugo. All of which eventually transformed into nightmares where the vigilantes or her kidnapper would show up and various bad shit would occur. The events of that day were still weighing heavily upon her, despite Kuri's efforts to not think about it. It was strangely relieving for Bakugo to be out of sight since his presence only served to remind her of how she had failed during the mission (and also reminded her of the dreams). Although, he seemed to be clumsily trying to make her feel better about everything that happened with Nana and Hayami, which Kuri found very cute and sweet.