Illuso, Melone, Risotto (Deity Au)

This is meant to be a background story for deity or cult headcanons!

C|Tw: drugging, cult

     You were offered a promotion that was accompanied by a relocation to a secluded town. It was strange moving to a place none of your friends or family heard of but it was also exciting in a way. Instead of letting their fear for your safety stop you after doing some research on the town you decide to go for it. Besides if you stayed for three months and find that you don't like it, moving back home and taking your old position would still be an option.

     Usually small towns don't do well financially and the infrastructure is either old or withering so you weren't expecting anything too fancy. Meanwhile the streets were clean and outlined with olive bushes, the buildings were holding just fine not weathered in the slightest. The community must have come together to maintain their lively town instead of letting it rot away, from the looks of the people you passed everyone did seem pretty friendly.

     The little neighborhood you were going to be staying in was better than you thought it'd be. The people were kind and kept offering to help you get settled in, even bringing you plenty of welcome baskets. It was easy for you to feel like you could stay in the small town and live your life here, only leaving to take a vacation.

     The townspeople invite you to partake in their seasonal events and explore the town rather than locking yourself inside of your house. After all, you will be staying with them for a while might as well learn the customs. The people in this town seemed to love parties because there were plenty events and celebrations.

     As you become more comfortable meeting others you notice certain patterns and sense some peculiar energy amongst a handful of people. Maybe it was because you were still new at talking to multiple people or that you were used to having a small crowd, either way, it left a funny feeling in your gut.

     You'd see numerous people wearing reflective brooches & diamonds that seemed to resemble a peacock, matching outfits that had soft purple outlines, and a small dove engraved in the left sleeve. There were only a small handful of people that would wear black accessories ranging from collars, necklaces, bracelets, and rings that were either adorned with obsidian or a dash of gold.

     Not wanting to throw yourself into trouble, you tread lightly and try to connect the dots on your own and think about what it may be. A secret planning committee, the town's more important families, or maybe it was from a previous event that was held before you moved here. You noticed the pattern was prevalent amongst a little over 360 people, based on the information you'd gathered, which isn't a lot but in this small town of at least 2,435 it was enough.

     The more you searched for a clue or the smallest hint of what any of this could mean, the more you felt as if you were being watched. You'd be doing your grocery shopping and suddenly feel as if there is someone following you through the aisles. During a party, held by your corporation, it felt like everyone was talking about you or at least staring too much. You'd look in a random direction and end up making eye contact with a stranger every ten minutes which was too often to be a coincidence.

     At first, the town was a breath of fresh air and you considered it to be an amazing place to settle down. Now it only ever drains you mentally and causes paranoia. It wasn't until you started leaving your lights on at night out of fear that you finally decided to reach out to your friends Desna and Catalina, past the point of caring about how silly you'd sound. All you needed was for someone to tell you that it was all in your head or offer an answer that'll make you feel silly for worrying yourself.