I shake my head unaware that tears of frustration and sadness are falling from my eyes.

"That's not true!"

Masons shakes his head letting out a humourless laugh.

"Do you hate me?"

I shake my head wiping my eyes quickly.

"no, I'm upset with you"

He shifts his jaw "you going to be any less upset if I give you what you want?"

I tilt my head "w what?"

He stalks toward me until we're chest to chest.

"Would you be any less upset with me if I were to drop to my knees for you right now?"

He starts bending down and my eyes widen shaking my head I grab his shoulders.

"No"

He scoffs standing "then stop asking"

With that he turns and leaves the bathroom making me cry frustrated. I hadn't meant for him to leave. I didn't mean no, I didn't mean yes either. I didn't understand and now Mason's angry with me. I shake my head and wipe at my eyes furiously wishing they would stop betraying me the way they do cascading tears down my face.

Mason's worried he'll ruin me and I don't know how to show him there's nothing to ruin. To show him that with or without him I'm just me. Will Jackson, 11th grade student, friend of Jenna Ryerson and baby brother of the infamous Gage Jackson. Nothing special.

I wipe my face and try my best to look as I did when I came in the bathroom before slowly moving out the door and to the car. When I get in the car Mason is still in his previous seat and I'm surprised. I expected him to have switched, made Hank sit with me.

Hank and Gage both grin at me as I climb in each holding a bag filled with junk.

"They had all the good stuff in there"

I force a smile and Hank grins "they even had slushies!"

I nod "nice..."

I'm thankful when we hit the road again and they both find some way to entertain themselves. I don't have the energy to fake a smile. Instead I stare out the window and wish I hadn't said anything to Mason. Wishing I had just been content with only sleeping.

I bite my lip at the thought, maybe I am content with only sleeping. Have I been fantasizing about the thought of Mason and I for years? Yes, but have gone without it for years? Also yes. Going without Mason in my bed at all...I don't want to do that. I decide then if Mason doesn't want to have me in that way it is what it is, but I need him in my bed even if all we ever do is sleep.

I shake my head leaning it back and closing my eyes. Jenna would have a field day with me.

When we get back to our house Mason and Hank help us unload everything before discussing if they'll stay for dinner. Mason as expected tries his best to subtly decline, but Hank and Gage don't even entertain the idea already heading inside to order pizza.

My parents laugh and follow after them and I look at Mason, this is my chance.

"Um"

He looks up and honestly looks surprised I'm even talking to him. I bite my lip and continue.

"You don't..you don't have to uh...do that with me"

Mason looks confused and I sigh.

"If you only want to sleep that's okay...just p please don't stop um..."

Mason nods before I can finish.

"I don't like sleeping without you either Will"

I can't help the way my cheeks heat up and my lip quirks.

"Oh"

Mason looks sad, but happy at the same time and it makes my heart ache. I nod again awkwardly before turning and walking into the house.

Mason follows shortly after me, but we go out separate ways when I head upstairs to unpack and he goes downstairs to join Hank and Gage.

I'm not alone for long someone knocks at my door before walking in.

"Hey"

I turn and nod at Hank.

"What's up?"

He sits on my bed watching me unpack my bag.

"Are you okay?"

I make a face and turn away from him putting my clothes in my hamper.

"Yes..why?"

He rolls his eyes when I turn around "Will. Mason is an ass"

I bite my lip "not always"

Not when he's holding me close and kissing my head.

Hank sighs "why do you let him treat you like shit?"

My mouth drops open and Hank throws his hands up in surrender.

"I'm not trying to be mean! I just mean, Mason cares about you sure, but he's got a fucked up way of showing it"

I glare "don't swear"

Hank groans flopping back onto my bed  "your not my dad"

I roll my eyes "not the point"

I collect some clean clothes from my bag and move toward my closet putting them away before moving back toward my bed where Hank gives me a look.

"So?"

I wince I was hoping he'd forget.

"I love him Hank"

Hank sits up "no you don't? You do?"

I blush lightly biting my lip before nodding slowly.

Hanks eyes widen "oh shit you do!"

I roll eyes "stop swearing!"

He chuckles "sorry, but I just...I knew you liked him I didn't realize you liked him THAT much"

I awkwardly fiddle with the shirt in my hands.

"I...I liked Mason for a long time"

Hank shakes his head "no way, you liked Mason!"

I glare "shhh! Shut up!"

He blushes bashfully "sorry! I just..I can't believe it I didn't even know"

I laugh rolling my eyes "you didn't know me"

He shrugs "even when I met you, I didn't realize not at first anyway"

I nod "we'll now you do...so don't tell anyone"

Hank gives me a look clearly offended "excuse me? I would never tell your secret cat boy"

I lift a brow and he grins smugly. I roll my eyes and grab the last of the clothes out of my bag tossing it in the bottom of my closet just as my mom calls out.

"Boys! Pizzas here!"

Hank jumps off my bed about to rush downstairs, but pauses in the doorway.

"Will?"

I look up and he gives me a sad look "loving someone doesn't can't always excuse their behaviour...I mean I love my dad and I still think he's a shitty ass human being"

With that he heads down the stairs, but I stay put wincing because his words sting.

••
Okay so we love Hank and Mason still needs some work. Honestly I know many of you are frustrated with Mason, I am as well. So I may go back when I fully edit my story and change a few things. Sometimes when I'm writing I find that things change as I go and then I don't always necessarily like how they line up. With this story I wanted their to be resistance on Mason's part that ultimately led to frustrating undeniable sexual attraction, but it's not exactly panning out that way. Point is; I'm doing my best to get this story back on more of the track I was expecting and to have some growth and development. Stay tuned 🤍

Word count: 2177