Chapter 26

A whole day has past and I still have not stopped thinking about the feeling I had or the fact that I haven't told any of my friends.

Of course we would have transfiguration,where I sit next Hermione where my guilt would eat me up.

" Could I have your attention, please?" Professor McGonagall started.

" Right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets." I see Draco shrug at the table next to me. " Like so." McGonagall steps closer to a bird resting on a post to her right, tapping it with her wand as she speaks. " One, two, three, Vera Verto." a stream of magic emits from her wand, and the bird becomes a goblet.

"Now it's your turn? Who would like to go first?" She approaches Ron,this won't end well.

" Ah! Mr. Weasley. One, two, three, Vera Verto."
"Ahem!" Ron silently taps his wand towards Scabbers three times. " Vera Verto."
his wand causes Scabbers to turn into a furry goblet with his tail moving around while squeaking; Harry and some of the other students grin and laugh.

McGonagall speaks as Ron picks up the Scabbers-goblet. "That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley." Hermione raises her hand next to me.

" Yes, Ms. Granger?"
"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets."

Draco gives Hermione a surprised look.

McGonagall glances around the room, seeing that we all look somewhat interested.

"Very well. Well, you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Now three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not."

Ron turns to Harry and I hear him faintly say,"Three guesses who."

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods."

Draco and I glare at each other.
" Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Well, shortly before departing, he sealed it, until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber, and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

" Muggle-borns." I whispered to loudly.

Professor McGonagall points her wand at me in an affirmative gesture.

"Well, naturally the school has been searched many times. No such Chamber has been found."

She turns and walks back to her desk.

"Professor,"

Professor McGonagall turns around to me.

"what exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?"

"Well, the Chamber is said to be home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster." Ron looks horrified as he turns around to look at Draco, who is grinning at me.

Ron walks beside me,Harry and Hermione on my left.

" Do you think it's true? Do you really think there is a Chamber of Secrets?"

" Yes. Couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried. All the teachers are." Hermione announced.

Harry speaks as Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle walk down the corridor behind us. I hear my sisters voice behind me. She's walking with Draco Malfoy.

"But if there really is a Chamber of Secrets, and it really has been opened, then that means..." Harry says while slowing down his walking.

I clarify,"The Heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts."

"The question is, who is it?" Hermione questions.

Ron looks after as Draco, Goyle and Valerie walks past us, with Crabbe running to keep up.

"Let's think... "Ron starts as he glances at our adversaries as they pass by us,almost walking into Hermione.

" who do we know who thinks all Muggle-borns are scum?" Ron finishes.

"If you're talking about Malfoy..."

"Of course, Hermione! You heard him: 'You'll be next, mudbloods.'"

" I heard him Ron. But Malfoy, the Heir of Slytherin?"

"Well, maybe Ron's right," Harry makes us come to a stand still.
" I mean, look at his family Hermione, the whole lot of them have been in Slytherin for centuries."

"Yes,but so have mine, Harry. That doesn't mean anything!", I argued.

"Are you standing up for him?,"

"I'm just saying Harry...we shouldn't jump to conclusions."

"Crabbe and Goyle must know. Maybe we could trick them into telling."
"C'mon Ron. Even they aren't that thick. But there might be another way. Mind you, it would be difficult, not to mention, we'd be breaking fifty school rules, and it'll be dangerous, very dangerous."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

In the library,Ron, Harry and I are sitting at a table waiting to hear Hermione's plan. She walks up to us with a book labeled 'potent potions'

She starts reading silently with her finger tracing the words.

" Here it is, the Polyjuice Potion. 'Properly brewed, the Polyjuice Potion allows the drinker to transform himself temporarily into the physical form of another.' " She read from the book.

Ron seems interested now ,"You mean, if Harry and I drink that stuff, we'll turn into Crabbe and Goyle?"

" Yes." Hermione affirmed .

Ron and Harry exchange grins.
" Wicked. Malfoy will tell us anything."

Hermione smiles slightly at their motivation. "Exactly, but it's tricky." She glances down at the book again. "I've never seen a more complicated potion."

" Well, how long will it take to make?" Harry seemed impatient.

Hermione looks up at Harry.

" A month."

" A month?! But, Hermione... if Malfoy is the Heir of Slytherin, he could attack half the Muggle-borns in the school by then!" Harry was in disbelief.