29. Pictures, Letters and Yogurts

Violet

Turns out Hailey has been with Justin at some point during our 4-year timeout. Though it was never confirmed but the pictures on the internet didn't need an explanation. There were vacations in Hawaii, make-outs in clubs, snuggled pictures backstage. I wondered why Justin never told me about her when I've been very much open during my wasted days with Luke.

Maybe I shouldn't have blocked Justin and his whole crew during those years just to know who has and hasn't been part of their lives.

Well, no one really expected for us to get back together after being so long apart.

"I didn't think of you as a stalker type." Riley slips into the chair across the island counter, making me shut the laptop in a hurry.

Defensively replying, I say, "It's called educating yourself to make sure you're in the right position."

Snatching the laptop to his side, Riley scrolls through the page I was on.

"Why are you even snooping around? Can't you just ask your boyfriend and get it over with?"

"It's not something we should be talking about. Besides, I was just checking."

"I knew she was trouble the moment I laid eyes on her. Riley responds. "The fact that she got along with everyone in a snap was too fishy."

"Maybe she's just genuinely friendly. Justin's crew and our friends seemed to like her a lot."

"You can count Stella, Vallerie, Paul and I out of the picture. That girl is shady."

I sighed. "What did you guys talk about after I left?"

"Nothing except for the obvious that Hailey's still into your man. Though she's not a threat or whatsoever because you're beautiful to match up to anybody."

My cheeks turn warm.

Riley continues, "But I suggest you keep Justin close. That shit last night made me sick."

"It was a game Ri." Convincing myself since last night became difficult because every time I tried to tell myself it was okay, the pain in my chest made me feel otherwise.

"Game or not, if Justin respected and loved you the way he keeps showing off, he wouldn't have done that. I know I wouldn't."

The truth really hurts. Knowing Justin, he would do anything to prove a point and show off. Riley on the other hand didn't care if people saw him as some macho person. He'd easily give up his image if it was for someone important to him.

I didn't want to compare but the thought just kept pushing itself into my head.

"Can we not talk about it? Why are you even up early?"

He gets up from his seat and goes towards the kitchen cabinet to do something I couldn't see. Riley returns with a mug of hot coffee.

"I figured you'd be the earliest up and I wanted to make you this. I know starting with a good cup always makes you feel better." He smiles. "I missed making you coffee Vi."

Riley's low tone and the way his breath hit my neck with how close he was standing sent chills through the smallest bone of my body but I quickly had to shrug it off when Hailey walks into the kitchen.

"Great, just the person I wanted to talk to." It amused me how Hailey could smile without getting that red lipstick on her teeth.

"Great, just the person we didn't want to talk to." Riley retorts, earning a nudge on the side from me.

"Hails, you're here early. How'd you get in?" I ask, doing my best to sound as polite as possible.

"Justin spared me a key years ago in case I needed some place to crash whenever I'm in L.A." she answers. "He's a good a best friend."