2. The Guest List

Violet

Stratford. The town reminded me of all the things I've lost. My mom, Justin, a simpler life. Just thinking about that place made my stomach churn. If it wasn't for Jev, I wouldn't be having this dreadful argument in my head whether I should go home or not.

It's been 4 years since I've been to Stratford. The last time I've been there was to sell all the property my mom had left me after she passed away. I never thought I would have to go back.

It's been three weeks since Jev told me the big news and to be frank, I haven't been getting any sleep.

"Vi...Vi...your food's getting cold." Paul's voice interrupted my train of thoughts.

"Oh...I'm sorry." I replied then went back to eating the mac and cheese in front of me.

"You're thinking about Jev's wedding, aren't you?"

"No. Why would I do that? I was thinking about the bunch of edits I needed to get done by the end of the week." I denied but I knew Paul would instantly figure out that I was lying.

"Really Vi? Nice try but you know you can never keep things from me."

"Is it that obvious?" I asked.

"What? No, totally not obvious. It's not like you've been spacing out at every meal whether we were in this house or in a restaurant. It's not like you've got circles under your eyes that are deep as the Grand Canyon. You're totally fine Vi."

I gave Paul a look but we ended up laughing at his sarcastic answer. "You're an ass. Seriously dude. What am I supposed to do?"

"Honestly, I want you to go home. Jev's been bugging me to convince you but you know I can't force you do anything that you don't want. This is up to you Vi." He slides over an envelope across our dinning table.

"What's this?" I asked as I take a piece of paper out of the envelope.

"I bought tickets ever since Jev told me the big announcement. I was just waiting for your answer." Paul responds.

A confirmed itinerary from Chicago O'hare Intl. Airport to Toronto and then a short haul flight to Stratford was neatly printed on the paper. My heart instantly warms up despite the hatred against my former home.

"Wait, the wedding is not in four months? What's the hurry?" I asked.

"We wanted to spend time altogether before Jev and Stella goes off and start their own family soon. We all know once you're a family person, you'll barely have the time for your friends. Even if you do, the most we'll be getting is two hours. It was Jake's idea that we go home early and help out." Paul explained.

"But what about work? What about the restaurant? You can't just leave the place to your people." I say.

Paul's business here in Chicago was a big hit especially during the weekends. It was a bar and resto located downtown and the place would get so busy that sometimes we needed to help out due the little amount of the staff he had.

"The restaurant will be fine. If anything happens, it's easy to get a flight. I'll come back on the weekends and check up on things. I've already figured it out so you don't have to worry about anything."

I thought of an excuse. "What about my job? It's not like I can up and leave?"

"What's the difference Vi? You job lets you work in the comfort of our home and you're always flying out to places for shoots when a new client gets added to your portfolio. It's going to be the same thing from Stratford."

Paul had a point. I should've thought of a better reason not to go.

"I'm sorry. I just need more time to think about this. It's not like I don't want to go but you know how --" I explain but Paul cuts me off.