Ch. 43: First Appointment & Shocking News

Spencer James

•Three days later•

"You never told me how your first session went?" Olivia said as she and Spencer were waiting in the doctor's office. "Did everything go well?" she inquired as she crossed her legs to ease her nerves.

"It went pretty well, actually. Monday's session was more of an introduction, you know?" Spencer said and Olivia nodded her head. "Dr. Hayes and I obviously broke the ice, but I am lookin' forward to the next session" he continued.

"That's good, Spencer" Olivia smiled at him. "You'll get the chance to be vulnerable and dive deep within, which makes the sessions so much more meaningful" she said and he agreed.

There was a brief moment of silence, before Spencer spoke up once again.

"You doin' okay this morning?" He inquired as he reached for Olivia's hand.

"No" Olivia lightly chuckled and Spencer frowned. "I feel awful, honestly. I've felt this way for weeks, I hope it isn't anything major" she heaved a big sigh.

"I'm sure you and the baby are fine, Liv" Spencer assured, placing a hand on her stomach.

"I know we are, but I can't help but feel a bit anxious" Olivia said and he nodded his head.

"Well thankfully, we will be meeting with the doctor any minute now" Spencer said. "I'm sure all of our questions will be addressed then" he continued.

Olivia heaved a big sigh as she placed her hand on top of his.

"Olivia Baker" the young couple heard and stood to their feet.

***

"This is warm gel I am going to apply onto your belly" the doctor said as she squeezed the tube of gel. "It helps with the ultrasound waves, so we can get a clear picture of the baby" she explained and Olivia nodded.

"It won't be painful for her?" Spencer inquired and the doctor shook her head 'no'.

"There should be no pain" the doctor assured. "We're going to zoom in so the both of you can get a better look at the baby" she continued as she ran the wand across Olivia's stomach.

Spencer and Olivia stared at the screen, in awe of the image of their baby.

"I'm going to zoom in and do what we call a heart trace" the doctor said as she zoomed in on the screen. "We're able to trace the baby's heartbeat per minute" she explained.

"Spencer, do you hear the heartbeat?" Olivia inquired as tears of joy filled the brim of her eyes. 

"I hear it, baby" Spencer said as he felt overwhelmed with emotions. "That's our baby" the tears swiftly cascaded down his cheeks as he smiled.

"The heart is beating at 149, which is pretty normal" the doctor said as the young couple nodded their head.

"Is it too early to tell the sex?" Olivia asked as she wiped the tears off of her face.

"It's difficult to tell at this stage, since it is early" the doctor answered. "You are...eight weeks and two days. You'll be able to find out the sex at twenty weeks" she continued.