Ch. 31: Patience

Spencer James

"I'm tellin' you, Liv. You're gonna love this food" Spencer said as he closed the passenger door behind Olivia.

"You've taken me to some of the best food places out here, I know this won't be any different" she smiled at him as he reached for her hand.

Olivia had been hungry and Spencer decided to take her to a Black owned takeout spot in South Central. As the young couple strolled on Crenshaw, Spencer greeted a few people from the neighborhood. Olivia smiled as he interacted with everyone, she loved the sense of community here.

"I know I've talked about Malibu, but I love it here too" Olivia said and Spencer glanced at her. "Despite the violence, pain, and trauma, there's a lot of love and community here" she continued.

"You see why I don't want to leave" he replied and she nodded. "I'm not proud that I've contributed to the pain and violence here, I wish I never got into the shit honestly" he said and she frowned.

"Spencer, I know you hate that you can't go back and change the past. But you could build a better future here" she said and he glanced at her. "You said that's what you want to do, right?" she inquired.

"I sure did" he said.

"Okay then, that's what you'll do. You'll contribute to the better of the community" she smiled at him. "Don't beat yourself up and dwell on the bad choices you've made. We're all capable of growth and evolution" she squeezed his hand.

"You always know what to say" Spencer smiled at her as he placed a gentle kiss on her lips. He opened the front door to the restaurant and let her walk ahead of him.

"You know what you want to get?" He inquired as he stood behind her in line.

"I've been eyeing the tacos" Olivia said as she rested her back against his chest. "But apart of me wants the shrimp burrito too" she looked up at him.

"You should get both, that's what I do" Spencer looked down at her and pecked her forehead.

"I think I'll do the same, the tacos seem tiny" she said and he nodded. "You're going to be the reason I hit the gym and go on a diet soon" she playfully rolled her eyes and he laughed.

"Next in line!" the cashier yelled out.

"Yo, what up Spence!" a familiar voice called out and he glanced behind him.

"Go ahead and order baby" Spencer told Olivia as he gave her his wallet. Olivia nodded and approached the cashier.

"My nigga, Sean, what's crackin foo!" Spencer greeted his homeboy, Sean, dapping him up. "What up, Nae!" He hugged his homegirl.

"What's up wit you? We ain't seen you in a cool minute" Sean said as he wrapped an arm around Nae. "We thought them niggas killed you" he said, earning a frown from Nae.

"Nah, they ain't did it yet. I've been busy lately, you know how shit go" he said and his friends nodded. "I see you both made it official, finally!" Spencer chuckled as his friends smiled.

"I ain't think it was gon' happen honestly" Nae said and Spencer laughed.

"I don't know why you thought that. This nigga been said he would get you back in high school" Spencer voiced and Nae smiled.