Ch. 22: We Meet Again

Spencer James

"Who is your biggest inspiration or driving force for your business?" Lauren inquired as she ate a spoonful of vanilla ice cream.

Spencer and Lauren were on their lunch break and decided they would engage with the day's festive. After Lauren introduced Spencer to other Black business owners, the two agreed to get some ice cream.

"Honestly, I have two answers for that question" Spencer said as he ate some of his chocolate ice cream. "I've been caught up with a lot of stupid shit since I was fourteen. Ever since I found out about my daughter, I've been wantin' to get out and do better for her" he explained and Lauren nodded.

"I understand that wholeheartedly" Lauren smiled. "I would say the same thing, actually. After I had my son, we were homeless for the first few months of his life. I knew I needed to provide a better quality of life for the both of us, so I decided to jump start my business dreams" Lauren said as she continued to eat her ice cream.

"And you see how that's turned out for you? People love your shea butters and candles" Spencer smiled.

"And that's amazing, but I'm honestly not where I want to be. I'm still working a full time job in the midst of all of this. But I would say we're progressing for sure. Both jobs help pay the bills and I'm able to put my son in an affordable pre school" Lauren explained.

"And you doin' the damn thing!" Spencer lightly chuckled as he nudged her arm.

"Yeah...somethin' like that" Lauren smiled. "I'm just grateful that I'm able to provide for my son. It's tough raising a four year old on my own" she said as she finished her ice cream.

"I'm sure it is, but you're doin' all that you can to ensure your son is good. That's major, Lauren" Spencer complimented and she smiled. "I don't know how you do it, honestly. I'm fortunate to have a co-parenting relationship with my baby moms. It's not the way I envisioned startin' a family, but we do what's necessary for our daughter" he continued as he threw his bowl in the trash.

"How old is your daughter?" Lauren asked.

"She'll be six months soon" he answered and Lauren nodded her head.

"Oh she's a baby baby" Lauren chuckled. "You and her mother still have time to figure it out, Spencer. I mean, maybe you'll both get back together-"

"Nah, that ain't gon' happen. We ain't been together for a while now and I'd rather keep it that way" He cut her off. "My bad for cuttin' you off though" he apologized.

"No need to apologize, Spencer. I shouldn't have overstepped" Lauren apologized as she felt bad. "You said you had two answers for my question. What's the second half?" Lauren inquired.

"Oh, right! Well actually, my girlfr- my ex-"

"Spencer!" a familiar voice called out and he turned around.

"What up, what up!" Spencer couldn't contain his smile as he'd seen Mr. A with Angel in his arms.

"You go ahead and talk with your family" Lauren suggested. "I need to get back to the booth, I'll see you around?" she inquired as she raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah...see you around" Spencer said as he waved 'goodbye' to her. He then turned back toward Mr. A and Angel, approaching the both of them.