Ch. 17: Damage

Spencer James

"Olivia?!" Spencer eyes shut open as he immediately sat up on the bed. Covered in cold sweat, Spencer clutched onto his chest as his heart pounded rapidly. "It was just a nightmare" He breathed out a sigh of relief after he noticed Olivia had been laying next to him.

Spencer rubbed his eyes as he slowly got out of the bed, heading toward the bathroom to freshen up. He turned on the cold water and attempted to wash away the visions of horror from his dream. 

"It was just a dream..." Spencer repeated as he turned the water off. 

He then stared at himself in the mirror, wondering what he'd got himself into. Spencer felt his eyes start to water, but refused to let the tears fall. Instead, he opened the drawer where he stored the pills and reached for the bottle. He briefly stared at the bottle in his hand, sighing as he opened the lid.

"You okay in there, babe?" Olivia gently knocked on the door and Spencer shoved the bottle back into the drawer. "Spencer, it's three in the morning. Why are you up right now?" she slightly opened the bathroom door and peeked in.

"Liv...we need to talk" Spencer said as he sat on the counter. He had been scared shitless and wasn't sure how she would take him revealing the truth to her. 

Olivia had a puzzled look on her face as she entered the bathroom. Spencer cleared his throat and reached for her hand.

"I'm um-"

"You don't have to apologize about last night. I'm not upset anymore if that's what you're thinking" Olivia said as she stood in between his legs. Spencer gently nodded his head and placed his hands on her waist.

"Liv, I-"

"I shouldn't have been so hard on you babe" Olivia interrupted him and placed a hand on his cheek. "Shit happens and sometimes you're not about to get up. It was my fault for taking it so personal" she continued and gently pecked his lips.

"Well actually, I wanted to-"

"Extend our stay til tomorrow morning?! I was just thinking the same thing! We need a do over since last night didn't go as planned" Olivia smiled as she pecked his lips once again.

"Olivia, just listen to what I have to say...please" Spencer pleaded as he gazed into her eyes.  Spencer felt his throat attempting to close as his eyes began to water again. He looked down at his feet to avoid her eye contact.

"Spencer, you're worrying me now. What's wrong?" Olivia frowned as she cupped his face with her hands.

"Open the drawer..." Spencer said as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

Olivia removed herself from Spencer's hold and stepped toward the bathroom drawer. She held her breath as she placed her hand on the drawer handle. She was unsure what to expect, but deep down she knew to be prepared for the worse. 

"Spencer..." Olivia's eyes widened as she opened the drawer. "What the hell is this?!" she questioned as she pointed at the bottle of pills.

"Liv, I need you to listen to me-"

"Listen to you for what?!" Olivia questioned. "You're a liar!" she yelled as she threw the pill bottle at him.

"Olivia!" Spencer got off of the bathroom counter. "Can you let me explain?" he inquired as he stepped toward her.

"No! You just...stay away from me, Spencer!" she yelled and pushed him away from her. "I'm done, we're done!" she said as she stormed out of the bathroom.

"Olivia!" Spencer called out as he followed behind her. "Where you goin'?" he watched as she shoved her clothes in her suitcase.

"Far away from you!" she paused from packing when her phone started to ring. "Who the fuck is calling me at three in the morning?!" she questioned as she pulled her phone out. Olivia frowned as she read the caller I.D. and immediately answered the phone.

Spencer heaved a big sigh as he headed back in the bathroom. He picked the bottle of pills off of the floor and stared at them.

Get rid of them! He thought to himself as he opened the toilet.

"Spencer!" Olivia shrieked and he quickly stuffed the bottle in his pocket. Spencer rushed out of the bathroom and found Olivia scrambling to put her clothes on.

"What's goin' on, Liv?!" Spencer questioned as he reached for his shirt.

"It's my Dad! We've got to get to the hospital!" Olivia panicked as she reached for her shoes. "Don't just stand there! We need to go, now!" She grabbed her purse and rushed out of the room. 

Spencer grabbed the rest of his belongings as he quickly followed after Oliva.

***

"You ready to tell me what's goin' on?" Spencer questioned as he glanced at Olivia. He had been speeding on the freeway per Olivia's request.

"My dad had a heart attack" Olivia's foot tapped the floor nervously. "I don't know Spencer, my mom tried to sound convincing but I don't know..." she continued as she bit on her nails. 

Spencer sighed as he gripped the steering wheel. He'd hope her father would be okay when they reach the hospital. Spencer hadn't seen coach Baker since he was fourteen and he'd been looking forward to reconnecting with him eventually.

He turned off of the exit and turned into the hospital parking lot. Spencer and Olivia hopped out of the car and rushed inside of the emergency area of the building.

"Liv, is that them?" Spencer pointed to Olivia's family and she nodded her head. He watched as Olivia increased her speed as she ran toward her family.

"Mom! Jordan!" Olivia called out as she reached the two of them. Spencer caught up shortly after, placing his hands on his knees to catch his breath. "Please tell me Dad is okay?!" Olivia inquired as she hugged her mother and brother.

"Who...who are you?" Jordan pointed at Spencer as he ignored Olivia's question. Olivia noticed the tears on Jordan's face and her worry intensified.

"Mom! Jordan! Is Dad okay?! I need you to say something!" Olivia said as she pulled away from her mother's hold.

"Olivia...I'm so sorry..." her mother choked on her words. "Daddy didn't make it..." her mother continued as the tears cascaded down her cheeks.

"What?" Olivia felt her heart race rapidly as she shook her head 'no'. "No, no! You told me he's fine over the phone?" she said as she felt her eyes water.

"Mom, you said he was fine! What happened?!" Olivia yelled at her mother. "You said he was fine!" she repeated as Spencer held onto her.

Olivia kicked her legs in the air and punched his arms as she attempted to fight him off. "Let me go!" Olivia cried as she gave up from fighting him off.

Olivia's face turned red as she loudly wept into Spencer's arms. He shut his eyes as he held onto her closely, rubbing her back.

***

Please excuse any mistakes! Will update again tomorrow.