Ch. 15: If It Ain't One Thing, It's Another

Spencer James

*Three weeks later*

"Hey, babe. How did the testing go?" Olivia inquired over the phone.

"C did not want to swab the baby but she eventually gave in" Spencer shook his head. "The test went smooth though, I should expect results within 3-5 business days" he said as he entered an Uber. 

"How are you feeling? You're okay?" Olivia questioned.

"Truthfully I'm not. There's a slight possibility that I will have to care for a child I didn't plan for. It's just a lot to process right now" Spencer lightly chuckled.

"That's understandable, Spence" Olivia said. "And while we're on the discussion of children, we need to have a serious talk..." she continued.

"Don't tell me you're pregnant, I might lose it" Spencer said as he closed his eyes and silently prayed. The thought of another child would set him over the edge.

"I'm not pregnant, Spencer" she lightly chuckled. "We just need to talk about how this baby could possibly effect our relationship" she said.

"What chu' mean by that?" Spencer furrowed his eyebrows.

"We can talk about this later, I don't want to discuss this over the phone" Olivia insisted. "Is that okay with you?" she inquired.

"Yeah, I'm cool wit' it. We'll talk later" Spencer proposed.

"Okay, great! I gotta go, I love you" Olivia exclaimed.

"I love you too, baby. I'll holla at you" Spencer said as he hung up the phone.

Fifteen minutes later, Spencer's Uber dropped him off at Mr. A's home. The night at the hospital, Mr. A and Spencer had an intense conversation regarding Spencer's lifestyle. It took a lot of effort, but Spencer eventually agreed to temporarily stay with him. Though his home was not outside of South LA, Spencer figured it was safer to stay with him than in his own home.

"Hey, Spencer! Everything went smooth at the appointment?" Mr. A inquired as he placed the newspaper on the coffee table.

"Chyna was trippin as expected, but we were able to get the test done" Spencer removed his shoes and sat across Mr. A from the couch. "I'm really hopin' it ain't my baby, I'm not ready to be a parent" he heaved a big sigh. 

"If Angel is your daughter, you'd just have to accept it. It's just the consequence of your actions, son. You shouldn't have emptied in Chyna no way" Mr. A lightly shook his head.

"Okay...you don't have to keep sayin' I emptied in her" Spencer cringed at his words.

"I mean you did, didn't you?" Mr. A lightly chuckled at the young man in front of him.

"I might have, I don't know" Spencer shrugged his shoulders.

"That's the problem with you nasty ass kids today. Just fuckin' any and everybody. Now you stuck with a child you don't want and that child is raised by irresponsible kids themselves" Mr. A shook his head. "I pray for souls like Olivia, I don't know why she ridin' with you" he continued.

"I can't even answer that, honestly. If it were someone else, they would've been left" Spencer laughed as the corners of his eyes wrinkled.