Ch. 19: Don't Love Me

Olivia Baker

*the follow morning*

"I'm still in shock honestly, it hasn't hit me yet. We're all taking it one step at a time" Laura said while on the phone with Billy's management team. 

His management just released the details to the media regarding Billy's untimely death and wanted to check on the family. "Thank you for your assistance, I'll keep in contact with you" Laura said as she hung up the phone.

"You okay?" Olivia asked her mom.

"Your father and I have had many conversations for when this day would come. But no amount of conversations could prepare me for this" Laura heaved a big sigh. "I don't want to talk about this right now, how did you meet Spencer?" she inquired as she reached for Olivia's hand.

"I had a date planned with a guy I met at school at Lucille's Barbeque. I ended up at Woody's Barbeque in South Central on Slauson..." Olivia started. "I feel like it was meant for me to end up there, you know? We've only been together for a short period in time, but I feel like I've known him my entire life" she continued.

"That's cute, Olivia, really" Laura said. "I just don't think daddy would approve of someone like him" she claimed.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean, mom?" Olivia furrowed her eyebrows together.

"We always envisioned you'd be with someone of your caliber" Laura explained. "Not with some boy from South Central who has nothing going for himself" she continued and Olivia was in complete shock.

"Nothin' goin' for himself?" Spencer inquired as he entered the living room. 

"Spencer I didn't-" Laura started to explain herself but he interrupted her.

"You don't have to explain yourself to me Mrs. Baker, it's all good" Spencer lightly chuckled. "I'mma let myself out" he shook his head as he exited the living room.

"Really, mom?!" Olivia frowned at her mother and immediately got off of the couch. "Spencer!" she called out as she chased after him.

"Spencer, wait!" Olivia said as she grabbed his arm and turned him toward her. "My mom's clearly not thinking straight and-"

"Is that what you think of me? Hm, Liv? You don't think I have nothin' goin' on for myself?" Spencer questioned and she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Of course not, Spencer! I don't think of you like that" she answered. "Why are you so upset, babe?" she asked as she reached for his hand.

"I'm not just a nigga from South Central that ain't got nothin' goin' for himself. You know that, Liv! You know I've been upfront wit' you 'bout wantin' to get into business!" He slightly raised his voice at her.

"I know babe-"

"I've been hustling since I was 14. I'm not sayin' the shit I've done is right, but I've been makin' moves out here. How the fuck you think I got my car or house? I ain't some lazy bum" Spencer shook his head.

"Spencer, I know that-" 

"You didn't defend me though" Spencer lightly chuckled. "It's cool though, I don't need to be validated by your moms" he said as he headed toward his car.

"Where are you going?" Olivia questioned.

"I've gotta check out at the hotel and get the rest of our things" Spencer said as he entered his car.

"But Spencer-"

"I'll holla at you later, Olivia" Spencer interrupted her as he started the engine.