25: henry

Mirabelle is curled into my side fast asleep. I haven't been paying attention to the movie at all. I've been watching her. Sure, sounds a little creepy, but the team is leaving in the morning for an away game and Mira isn't coming with.

Stacey told me earlier with the help of Georgia, the head of my public relations team, that I need to maintain the good image I now hold. I hate to admit that they were right, but fake dating Mirabelle has helped. I didn't want to do it; I didn't want to use her like that.

But maybe it helped give me the push I've very clearly needed.

It feels right holding her, kissing her, and making her smile? God, making her smile is my new goal every day. Mira's brown eyes light up and her smile is just so happy. She wears her emotions on her sleeve making it easy to guess how she's feeling.

I was a blind fucking fool. I can admit it; now at least.

I think I was struggling to deal with the age gap and the fact I've known her my entire life. Mirabelle has changed so much over the years that I know she's not the same person I grew up around, just like I'm not the same person either.

Lifting my hand gently, I brush a few strands of hair out of her face.

I wish she could come with us. Mirabelle has to stay behind to work on a project with Stacey for her internship.

My phone begins vibrating loudly on the couch next to me and I flip it over, half expecting it to be another call from my mother. Except it's not.

Regretfully sliding out from Mirabelle, I rest her gently down onto one of the pillows that had been next to me and I hold my breath for a second to see if she wakes up, but she thankfully doesn't.

I answer the phone, stepping out quickly onto the back patio to see what is going on. "Mom? Is everything okay?" I haven't heard from my stepmom in a couple days and she hardly ever calls me at night.

There's a cough and a voice a lot deeper than Penelope's speaks. "Ah, actually it's me. I didn't think you would answer if I called."

"Probably not because you haven't spoken more than a couple words to me in months, Dad."

"I know. That's why I'm calling."

"Well?" I ask impatiently, knowing I'm being a dick and pushing my dad's buttons.

I expected Thalia and Sebastian to be mad when we first announced our fake relationship, but my dad? That one blindsided me.

"I'm sorry Henry."

I breathe in a sharp breath, "Okay."

"Okay." He replies and I almost want to tell at him that it was unfair how he treated me but is there even a point? I know my dad is a man of few words. There's whispering on the other end that I can vaguely hear before my dad continues. "Can you forgive me?"

"Penelope wants to know or you want to know?" I retort back quickly. I look back in through the windows to see Mirabelle still fast asleep on the couch.

"Both." Dad answers honestly. "I understand if you won't, but son...I was wrong to say all the things I did. I hope you can forgive me."

I drag a hand through my hair, knowing that I do forgive him. "It's fine Dad. I forgive you."

There's an awkward pause of silence. Dad clears his throat, "So how are you and Mirabelle?"

"We're good." I answer vaguely because if we're just now having a conversation for the first time in weeks, I'm not sure he actually cares to hear how we are doing as a we. "How's Katie doing?"