Chapter Twenty Four

Caius looked at her

Caius looked at her. Closing his mouth, he picked up one of the thermoses of blood. Amardad shifted before slowly moving towards the wall so Caius stopped.

He quickly uncapped the thermos' lid and Amardad was immediately at his side clawing at the container and lapping greedily at the red ambrosia. He let her without a word, simply looking at her in awe. She was so different, but not in a bad way, her body had fixed itself, her arm was without blemish or hint of the previous injuries that had been inflicted on it.

When she was finished she turned to him and her eyes narrowed for a moment while she observed him. He stayed absolutely still until she took a tentative step towards him. 

Her movement towards him started a chain reaction of events. "Mara," Her head snapped towards him and she snarled baring her teeth then lunged at him. Caius caught her in his arms and held her tight while she kicked and clawed at him, full of newborn rage and anger.

He held her and whispered words of comfort to her, told her how sorry he was - for everything. After what seemed to be the longest ten minutes in Caius' life,  she stopped trying to attack him, and only then did he realize that she was weaker than a usual newborn, and it scared him.

This wasn't normal, and that meant that she would only grow weaker when the newborn year was up. Something wasn't right. And it worried him.

- November -

Amardad had, at this point, only been out of her and Caius' chambers three times at this point. And never outside the castle. Since she had attacked Caius, she had calmed down significantly, and her bloodlust was very low for a newborn, only eating once or at most twice a week, where most newborns would still be having to feed every day or every other day.

Caius walked up to her and smiled softly. "Thirsty?" She shook her head and Caius frowned a bit but said nothing. Since she had woken up she hadn't said a word to anyone yet. 

He had taken to spend most of his time with her, having one of the guards deliver him his work every morning, not wanting to leave her alone for even a moment.

Amardad walked over to him and tugged on his sleeve to get his attention, even though his attention was already focused solely on her. "Caius," He froze and looked at her in wonder. She had spoken to him, finally said something! 

"Yes?" He questioned, visibly excited and so happy that she felt comfortable enough speaking to him. She looked like she was going to not say anything, but there was a pained look on her face that showed him that whatever she was going to say was important.

"Caius, I'm hungry." Caius paused but nodded. He had just offered to get her some blood, but then perhaps she didn't think she wanted any at the time or changed her mind. He got up and took her hand, walking towards the door. He expected her to let go and refuse to leave, but she let him lead her down the hallways. When they passed the hallway to the kitchen Amardad paused, digging her heels into the ground.