Chapter Nineteen

Amardad's POV:

Amardad's POV:

The rest of dinner was passed in silence after my little outburst. It was of course merited, but I still felt a bit bad about it. Caius's face had transformed immediately into a sad frown. The dinner was good though and the waitress was very kind, though she threw questioning looks at us multiple times during the course of my meal.

When I was done, Caius ordered me something called a 'Torrone Semifreddo' for dessert. It was delicious and I almost wanted to thank him, but we weren't talking. Once I was finished Caius and I walked back to the car and we both got in. 

I stared out the window as we drove through the streets, after a while, Caius let out a soft sigh and pulled onto a gravel road and into a grove of trees. He parked the car and turned to me, his face oddly emotionless.

"Amardad," He started turning towards me, "I just... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for what happened and how you cannot return to living your normal life, but I am not sorry, never have ever been sorry, to have met you." A blush lightly coloured my cheeks a delicate pink. 

"I also know that you're still on edge, as they say, about accepting to be my mate. I understand that too. If I was in your shoes I would probably do something that was more violent than what you have done by a thousand percent." Caius sighed again, looking deeply into my eyes, "What I really want to tell you tonight is this: I think we should set a date."

I blinked. Once. Twice. Thrice. "A date? Caius... You certainly don't mean a date to get married right? Your nice and all but..." Was he really proposing to me right now? The dimwit.

Caius immediately shook his head, looking slightly amused. I almost felt hurt, but at least he was as uninterested in the idea as I was. But, what date could he want to set then? Perhaps it was Marcus's birthday soon, or Dimitri or Didyme or Jane and Alec. Anyone other than Aro, dear god!

Caius hesitated before speaking, "A date for your change." Caius was even more pazzo than I had thought. I changed my clothing twice a day? Didn't he? "Your change into a vampire." I froze. What! I guess I had been sort of expecting this conversation, we hadn't talked about it really before.

"I'm sorry?" Caius sighed taking my hand into his and rubbing his thumb over my knuckles, something I had just read about to this point. "You can't... I would like to change you into a vampire." Huh? I knew the words that came out of his mouth, but they didn't seem to fit together in the sentence. Like unmatching puzzle pieces.

"How?" My eyes met his darkening ones. Okay, as uncomfortable as I currently am, I am just a tad bit curious about this. Do I have to drink his blood or do I have to be cursed? 

"It's simple enough," He started, his eyes never leaving mine. "To become a vampire a vampire must bite and inject their venom into the body." That certainly didn't seem so bad, but I had a feeling that he wasn't done speaking.